Re: Historic Spinning question

DR D W Taylor

Hi Jean, et al
All fabric pre industrial revolution were made with spindle spun yarn/thread so I don’t find it hard to believe that fabric for sails was spun this way.  The spindle was carried everywhere all the time. Spinning lends itself to multitasking- I.e. spinning while performing other tasks. To misquote Ed Franquemont: ‘Drop spindling is slower by the hour but faster by the week.’

I’m curious about the time for spinning for a sail. Was a year the estimated length of time that it took for one spinner to spin enough yarn for a sail- or multiple (how many?) spinners?  Interesting topic. All the best with the book.

Peace. D Taylor, DVM