Re: Historic Spinning question

Gabriele Breuer

Hi,
yarn spun on a drop spindle has (at least) enough twist and therefore stability to hold the weight of this spindle. When spinning on a grand wheel, charka etc., the spinner may insert the same amount of twist, as Sarah points out, but she/he will probably get along with a lot less twist without the yarn falling apart ‚immediately‘. This would be favorable in terms of production speed for the spinner, who in those times made a living by spinning.

Am 07.09.2021 um 05:46 schrieb alaskajean1 <jlbartos@...>:

Hi,
 A maritime historian friend and I are trying to complete my deceased husband's book on the evolution of sail design and construction.  Louie felt that a full discussion of sails had to include info on the production of thread, yarn, and cloth in order to be complete.  In his section on spinning in the draft we found this statement:

Although output was greatly increased (with the advent of the spinning wheel), the basic, cord-driven spindle-wheel produced a yarn that had less twist and was softer.  Therefore, it would not necessarily hold up under tight warp tensions on the loom as reliably as well-spun yarn from a drop spindle. For the majority of purposes, however, the vast increase in quantity outweighed the decrease in quality.

Neither of us knows where Louie came up with this!  He didn't cite any source. I've never spun on a whorl wheel, so have no personal knowledge of the quality of the yarn.  Can someone help?  My books say next to nothing about this type of wheel so I'm at a loss.

Thanks for helping us!
    Jean Bartos