Double countermarch

Elizabeth Moncrief

I’m considering moving the two sets of lams to one pivot point and adjusting the cords to make it a ‘double countermarch’ as described by Collingwood in a 1957 piece.  Does anyone have A double CM or has anyone converted theirs?  I may just do it in between warps but would love to know advantages or disadvantages if there are any.  I have plenty of room to move and interspace the lower lams to the upper rod (or everything to the lower pivot rod?) and the concept intrigues me.

Liz Moncrief
Www.aweaversway.com
Instagram:  moncriefliz

On Aug 18, 2021, at 8:18 AM, Sally O <s.orgren@...> wrote:

A new weaver asked me if "broken twill" was the correct term to use for her weaving "structure" after she completed samples from a recent workshop. The instructor provided the draft and used that term, so in that context I thought it was okay.

However, I did not see the actual draft. That got me to thinking, could "broken twill" actually mean a variety of different structures? In other words, it's a pretty broad term, right? When searching the term in Handweaving.net, a whole variety of patterns come up, some with a straight draw threading where the twill break happens in the treadling, and some with the break happening in the tie-up.

Yes, I floundered about with my edition of Emery in the pursuit of an anwer.

While asking this question, I am thrown back to thinking about Sara von Treskow's presentation at CWS in Maryland many years ago. She presented a draft naming system that was very precise by identifying the floats, warp or weft, in order, as part of the naming convention. With the resulting name, you immediately knew a lot more about the structure construction without even seeing a draft.

The new weaver was seeking a simple answer to complete her sample sheet - but her question left me with more questions.

Sally