Re: Paris bistro chairs

Sally O

Edited

Just a follow up to this thread if anyone is still interested...

The answer is yes! the "Prestige" caning pattern can be woven on a shaft loom with fibers!
It is not mad-weave, triaxial, or cannele/spider weave, all of which I have woven before.

Because the patterns Barbara W shared appear to be computer-generated, and caning uses flatter and stiffer materials, the sample I wove has far more dimension than I was expecting.

Other surprises:
- The bottom of the cloth is different than the top, and depending on how I interlace the diagonal threads (the exact order), I can produce two different patterns on the reverse side without affecting the top.
- The treadling is the same for all picks – that means one of the warp sets does not have to be threaded on any shaft for this particular pattern. However, to keep the structure from compressing when beating, I am considering entering a "hidden" pick on the opposite shed to stabilize the web, as long as it won't show on the surface.
- "Placing" the weft is required, not beating.
- I had to start and finish with a single strand of color for the diagonal threads to end at the selvedges correctly, not a pair.
- I am unsure how much of a time saving measure this method actually provides by using the loom to control tension and provide shedding for half the picks. Are there industrial looms that can produce caning patterns? The trick is those diagonal threads have to move across the warps, but not in the same way as traditional wefts.

Thanks to Jayne F for sharing the Handwoven article by David Mooney, as that gave me a big clue how to set up the diagonal threads before beginning.

When I have completed the first sample, I think I am going to cut off and contemplate additional explorations. I have been in contact with some basketmakers and will be investigating more folks with experience in caning. (The link to Silver River was great, they have two patterns that are not the same as the one Barbara shared, but of interest: Lace and Daisy. Another, called "Star of David"

BIG thanks for the push down this rabbit hole...I think ;-)

Sally O