Re: Wool or Hair?

Pat Bullen

One definition of wool:  the fine, soft curly or wavy hair forming the coat of a sheep, goat, or similar animal, especially when shorn and prepared for use in making cloth or yarn.

I personally think that wool only comes from sheep.  But then you have steel wool, cotton wool, and now in this article dog-wool.

At any rate, dog hair is lovely to spin.  We had a Great Pyrenees and unfortunately coca cola red shag carpet in our house (it came with the carpet). Almost all dogs with that fine undercoat that blows in the spring will make nice yarn.  Newfoundland, Chow, Great Pyrenese, Husky and Samoyed all spin beautifully.  Husky comes in a wide range of colors as a bonus.  There is a great book on spinning dog hair -- Putting on the Dog: The Animal Origins of What We Wear (9781595348647): Kwasny, Melissa: Books.