Re: Macomber Loom hook question

Louise Yale

Hi Nann
Thank you for the valuable tips.
Louise in NorCal
------------------

I have used a Macomber 8-shaft 48" B4 for over 50 years--20 of those as a
production weaver. Alden Amos timed our weaving speed at a shot every
second to 1-1/4 seconds, so speed isn't the issue. The hooks do not fly
off. During the last 10 years, I have moved to a 16-shaft B5 and the
hooks still don't fly off. I also weave on a 24" 8-shaft Baby Mac, and I
don't have issues there either. I work in a weaving studio with 5 other 4-
or 8-shaft B4s and they don't have problems. Each of these looms uses a
different size Super-Hook and I am careful not to mix the hooks up.

I wonder if you are centering the hook directly over the treadle? Are you
making certain the hooks are the correct size for the loom and number of
shafts on the loom? As you install (or remove the hooks) do you check
them to see that they aren't splayed at the top where it bends back?

Nann Miller