Re: storing reeds

Anne Wells <arwells@...>

Ruth Blau wrote:

I read somewhere that someone used an old golf bag for this purpose. I have
some reeds in an umbrella stand.
I had understood from some past, dim memory that it's not a good idea to
store reeds upright. That you should either lay them flat or suspend them
upright (i.e., hang them). Is this an old weaver's tale? ...
No, this is correct. I know of at least one weaver who stored reeds standing up,
and over the years, they have warped slightly. I have one reed that is slightly
warped, too, from being stored in an upright position. It is worse for longer
reeds than for short reeds.
Anne
arwells@erols.com