Re: Tie ups on Countermarche

Margaret Welch

I went to a parallel countermarche, a Hollandia, when my knees started going.  The treadling is effortless.  I wove on it shortly after bilateral knee replacement and the hardest part was getting to the loom and getting up from the bench afterwards.  There is more to tie up, but with texsolv and pegs the only problem is getting down on a low bench and getting back up.  There aren’t any knots to tie.  I have arthritis in my hands also.  Quite a while ago someone wrote an article on transferring tie ups to much higher on the loom. I don’t know if anyone else remembers it?  Meg Welch

On Nov 1, 2016, at 6:17 PM, alicianfang@... [WeaveTech] <WeaveTech@...> wrote:

I have a vintage Leclerc jack loom (80+ years old), and as I've matured, I find that I really don't like getting under the loom for tie up changes - not nearly as easy as it was once upon a time to get my behind up again.

So a question on those countermarche looms, like Toika or Glimakra, the ones that have the opening in the side - are those easier (on the body) to tie up than a jack loom?

For that matter - are countermarches easier to treadle than a jack loom?