Re: Looms with Low Profile

Laura MacCary <lmaccary@...>

In my opinion, the big problem with the low-profile loom design is that you
are pretty much forced to use a rising-shed jack mechanism. And one problem
with this mechanism is the difficulty of lifting many shafts. Some looms are
easier to treadle than others, because the designer paid attention to
leverage, but in general they're harder to treadle and can have fussier
(smaller or less clean) sheds than CB or CM looms. I understand that they
can also have problems with certain unbalanced weave structures. I hear CB
or CM looms can sometimes be better for these because the rising/falling
tension on the threads is equal, so the difference in take-up is minimized.

The 2 big advantages of the rising-shed jack looms are the low profile and
the ability to press more than one treadle at a time (difficult on a CM loom
unless you use a special tie-up) and get a large shed (difficult on a CB
when pressing multiple treadles unless you have a shed regulator).

These differences are minimal with 4 shafts, but become noticeable with 8 or
more. I'd be interested in your opinions on loom designs that can have 8 or
more shafts but minimize these limitations?

I tried out the Megado at the ANWG conference, and I'm impressed with the
way the back beam moves when treadling to improve the shed. I think this
design minimizes some of the problems associated with jacks, and the loom is
lower-profile than many large or multishaft looms (though not truly
low-profile). But it can only be used as a computer loom, there is not an 8
shaft version of the design, with treadles, to my knowledge.

What other models take these problems into account? Can these different
problems even be resolved?
Laura