Re: cordage

Bill Koepp <bgkoe@...>

How do you keep the ends of loom cord from raveling?
With cotton cord I dab the ends with white glue; if the knot is to be
permanent it gets a dab too. For poly cords I use a flame to fuse the cord
end. Whipping the ends ( old technology here ) works fine if you have the
time. I whip a cotton cord if it's made into a loop at the end and put it
over a metal grommet to eliminate abrasion, on brake ropes.
Elasticity of braided vs twisted or plied cords probably depends upon the
material in the cords, but rock climbers use braided ropes because they're
strong and stretch to absorb the shock in a fall.
A tie-up cord would not stretch that much, as it's relativly short. On long
runs ( 8 feet on our large loom ) I use stainless steel wire cable, it's
sold in rolls, for deep sea fishing leaders, there's no stretching these.

Happy Shuttling ! - Bill Koepp in Central California