Re: Warp....

Bill Koepp <bgkoe@...>

Waulk the warp groups as you first crank it on under tension
Bill -- I thought I knew what waulking is, but not in this context. Please
explain.
O.K. -
"Waulking" as you know is a Scottish term for "Walking" on homespun
materials to full and soften them. I use the term with warp as after lacing
onto the apron rod with nylon cord and bringing up the tension a bit, I walk
my fists across the warp knots first one way, then the other. I tighten the
tension a bit more and walk from the center of the warp to each side in
turn. This makes the slippery nylon apron cord adjust every one-inch group
of warp to about the same tension on the apron rod, regardless of where the
warp was knotted. I don't even try to make all of the overhand knots at the
same exact place, they aren't relevant to the overall tension anymore.

Happy Shuttling ! - Bill Koepp in Central California