Re: overhead beaters

Bill Koepp <bgkoe@...>

was there an adjustment or
2 that needed to be made on the overhead? Are overheads supposed to hang
behind the fell?
There's a simple adjustment, but with so many makes of loom, it's hard to
say if you can do it with your loom.
The beater swings on pivots, pivoting on points on the Capes, so place these
pivot points behind the beater, toward the rear of the loom. This will allow
the beater to hang at an angle, close to the shafts. Put a weight bar on the
beater lower front, in front of the reed. Ours is bolted to the front of the
shuttle race ( Lay ). Now the beater should return to this rest position
every time with no assistance from the weaver.
If you go to this page, look at the photo of me and our loom. The cape &
pivot are visible and you can also see the beater angle at rest:
http://www.PictureTrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=320327&uid=132022

It's possible your loom was assembled incorrectly at one time.

Happy Shuttling ! - Bill Koepp in Central California