Re : Silicones/Friction Brakes

Bill Koepp <bgkoe@...>

Walt is right.
Re Silicone , Bruce Johnson, the expert antique furniture restorer and
author says not to put silicone anything on wood. I also avoid any product
in a spray can except Deft lacquer. Paraffin wax and Carnauba wax are good.

Re the brake, did you change the ropes and possibly change direction on how
they're wound on the brake drum ? Are the ropes old and possibly have a
glaze on them ? Have the brake drums been refinished ? I'd sand the wooden
drums with 80 or 100 grit paper, just where the ropes run.
I'd not put belt dressing on the drums, it's for metal pulleys and rubber
belts.

-- Happy Shuttling ! Bill Koepp in Central California