Re: gathering info about studios

LHolzbach@...

In planning construction of new studio space, the time spent in figuring out
where to place electrical outlets is well spent. If base cabinets are to be
installed, you definitely want the outlets higher. Also, make sure you plan
for phone jacks (remember modem connections) and video (cable) outlets if you
want television and the ability to play instructional videos. Consider
connecting to a sound system if you have one in your home, and perhaps a
camera at the front door, if you want to monitor visitors from the tv screen.
I don't have one, but a lot of "smart houses" do.
There have been a lot of technologic changes since we built our condo, and
today many builders automatically consider computer needs. If you don't know
anything about lighting, hire a lighting consultant or go to a store that
will provide this service. A weaver's needs must be tailored to his/her
situation.

My studio is a 15 X 15 space on the second floor with a half-wall opening to
the entranceway and the kitchen/great room below, so I can see what's
happening in the main part of the house from my perch. I have a 60 inch AVL
compudobby, Ikea book shelves with storage doors below, a cart for a
computer, and a large two pedestal antique desk (used to be a roll-top but
the top was dismantled and lost a long time ago, sigh). There is a three
panel window with trapezoid above which faces north. A skylite in a slanted
ceiling brings in eastern light. My book and magazine bindings have faded a
bit in 15 years, and I'm considering having UV coatings put on the windows.
There are Lightolier light points with halogen lamps strategically placed in
the sloping ceiling (they can be adjusted). I also have a halogen floor lamp
for ambient lighting. I have room to put another loom next to the AVL, but
it would compromise space around the loom. I'm going to put in a futon so I
have a place to sit and read comfortably. It will also be another place for
visitors to sleep if they don't mind sleeping with a loom. I have a large
lithograph (Hans Erni) of Penelope which keeps me company while I weave and
unweave (although I don't think I do as much "unweaving as she did." There
is a door to a balcony overlooking our library. The door was an afterthought,
as was the balcony, which has more Ikea book shelves built in. I can open
this door and hear the music system below. There is a spiral staircase
leading from the balcony to the library below. My Schacht Baby Wolf loom is
set up in the great room, where we do most of our living (no formal living
room or dining room). A 39" Norwood is in the walk-out basement, along with
more book and yarn shelves. A desk and lots of file cabinets from my
husband's former office are in this room, which is about 24 X 15. He does
not like being in the lower level, so I have taken over this space, too. I
have two folding tables to hold weaving paraphernalia. My vertical warping
reel can be left set up on a table, which raises it to a comfortable height
for winding warps. I have several spinning wheels which move around the
house with me. There is more storage space in the basement for overflow. I
keep a dehumidifier running in the summer. I realize I am extremely
fortunate to have so much space and the ability to customize its use. I
spent many sleepless nights trying to keep ahead in the planning stages. A
class in architectural drawing (I was trained in occupational therapy) was a
big advantage.
Lorrie Holzbach