Topics

BALUNS............

LARRY KF5ODM

Any one know of local walk in supply in Ft. Worth area  to purchase a couple of  TYPE 43 2 inch Torids. For starters  Im building a 9:1 unun for an end fed random wire antenna.  I'm gonna feed it with a NEW Yaesu FT450D rig and my options for vertical and dipoles is not a very good.
--
Larry KF5ODM

Wayne

Hi Larry,

I have two 3 1/5 inch Torid cores left to me by a good ham friend years ago.  Not sure if they are #43, but at one time he had wound several turns of twin lead on them for his project.

The price is right if you want to give them a try they’re yours.

Wayne, N5FPD

H. Wayne Mathews

Cell: 817.403.0447

www.AALogic.com

Any one know of local walk in supply in Ft. Worth area  to purchase a couple of  TYPE 43 2 inch Torids. For starters  Im building a 9:1 unun for an end fed random wire antenna.  I'm gonna feed it with a NEW Yaesu FT450D rig and my options for vertical and dipoles is not a very good.
--
Larry KF5ODM

LARRY KF5ODM

Thank You Wayne. Ill try em. Ill call you later on. Some are better at lower freqs and some are better at higher freqs. 20 meters up 20 meters down. just depends on material type.

Any one know of local walk in supply in Ft. Worth area  to purchase a couple of  TYPE 43 2 inch Torids. For starters  Im building a 9:1 unun for an end fed random wire antenna.  I'm gonna feed it with a NEW Yaesu FT450D rig and my options for vertical and dipoles is not a very good.
--
Larry KF5ODM

--
Larry KF5ODM

Mike Burns, KE5NCS

Larry.  The club has some powered unun’s left over from a Hawaii end fed antenna club project.  We made about 20 of these antennas 5 years ago.  The unun’s were for a 9:1 ratio.  They are 1 ¼ inches wide and 3/8 inch deep.  Since you are a club member, you can take a couple if you are interested.  We also have some left over magnet wire (#18).  I have the instructions, so you can see how to wind the toroid.

Mike  KE5NCS

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Any one know of local walk in supply in Ft. Worth area  to purchase a couple of  TYPE 43 2 inch Torids. For starters  Im building a 9:1 unun for an end fed random wire antenna.  I'm gonna feed it with a NEW Yaesu FT450D rig and my options for vertical and dipoles is not a very good.
--
Larry KF5ODM

Mike Burns, KE5NCS

That should be powdered, not powered.

[...]

Hi Mike.
Thanks for the reminder.
I have 1 of those. Correct me if I am  off  on my thinking, but were those designed for QRP operation.  I dont know if the size and that  design would handle 80 to 100 watts. Im hoping for a good compromise antenna from 10 to 80 meters with tuner. What do ya think? I may try it with low power and work my way up

[...]

Jon, N5JLD

Larry, they will work at 100 Watts. I have used that same Torid for years in a 9:1 Balun with no issues. With that said, I would not run 100 watts digital through it for very long as that Duty Cycle is up there.

On Thu, Sep 17, 2020, 19:37 LARRY KF5ODM via groups.io <lpspool=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

---------
Have fun,
Jon N5JLD
www.n5jld.net

LARRY KF5ODM

Thanks John.  I Learn sumtin every day!

[...]

Wayne Morris - AC5V

FT-8 duty cycle is 50% when contacting a station with 15 seconds on and 15 seconds off. It is the same for calling CQ. You call for 15 seconds and listen for 15 seconds.

FT-4 is still 50% but it uses 6 seconds per side.

RTTY, PSK, etc. are 100% on when you are transmitting which is the entire time you are typing or sending macros. That might be too long depending on what you are doing.

Considering the on time for a period of 5 min, you would be OK if you only transmitted 2.5 maybe but there is no guarantee.

Also, if you do computer generated CW or you can personally send 30wpm – 40wpm, whatever it has a high duty cycle.

This also is not accounting, which I think is really important, the actual SWR vs. the tuned SWR at the radio. An end-fed wire, especially a random length can have a very high SWR and that can cause the toroid to heat even at lower duty cycles.

Some of the commercial units have cooling holes at the interface box to help with cooling.

There is no free lunch…

[...]

Michael Burns

I believe they work at 100 watts.  Jon has used the antenna in his travels for his business.  You can ask him.  The toroids are T120-2.

[...]

Makes sense.  Just getting into this balun thing with both feet. See you today sometime, i will call prior for ok time. Thank You Wayne..

[...]

Thanks Mike. Every one i have spoke with seems to have the same opinion. Im gonna try it. Thanks again. (Thanks for the actual part #)