FT-2980R Wires feature and Analog Wires-X in general

Brian Richman

Yaesu digital audio is clear isn't it?

Far fewer of the digital artifacts that other digital modes like DMR has to my ears.

If today wasn't full of work things (three back to back conference calls from 9am until 4pm), I'd be playing radio with it right now. 

Elmer net tonight!

On Monday, December 14, 2020, 10:41:11 PM CST, jurgencombs1958 <jurgencombs1958@...> wrote:

I had a great afternoon with wane AC5V .

I was trying to get on his repeaters analog node. May have made it if it was not in digital setup at the time. Lol

So he ran me through the digital repeater and wires-x procedures.

I am so glad I waited to buy the Yaesu digital instead of hurrying and not getting digital.

The audio clarity was amazing.

Many thanks and Merry Christmas 

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy , an AT&T LTE smartphone

-------- Original message --------
Date: 12/14/20 6:41 PM (GMT-06:00)
To: wc5c@groups.io
Subject: Re: [wc5c] FT-2980R Wires feature and Analog Wires-X in general

Great!! I worked with KI5MDI this afternoon and got him working on his FTM-300 in digital mode. Now, he will try the same thing, it won’t work, and he may wonder why.

If you can hear the repeater saying, “This is AC5V not connected.” It is in analog mode. If you don’t hear that on FM, then it is probably in Digital mode.

If you don’t hear it saying, “This is AC5V not connected.” and connecting in digital mode does not work, you might want to let me know. 😉 It might be turned off or I may be working on it.

I sometimes have the repeater announcing that the Wires0X is available in digital mode also.

I hope more of you get a chance to try it out. Let me know if you have problems and I will try to help.

BTW – I should have my 70cm repeater up full time by Monday. It will not be capable of Wires-X but it will do YSF digital and Analog FM using the AMS automatic switch mode.

Wayne, AC5V

From: wc5c@groups.io <wc5c@groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Richman via groups.io
Sent: Monday, December 14, 2020 5:47 PM

I got onto it and it all responded exactly as per your tutorial.

Programmed in on my side and all I have to do now is remember to hold down the PTT when I send the DTMF tones. I sat there and wondered why it didn't generate them for a good 10 minutes. Image removed by sender. Emoji DOH!!!! Yes, I did send the disconnect sequence when I was done.

Getting full quieting back on receive on my end from your repeater (i.e. "5 and 9") too. Not bad considering we must be getting on for 16 miles apart. All to do with both antenna height and (to a lesser extent) power I am sure. 

I think someone was sending CW at 5:36pm too. It was a distinctly different tone and slower too than your usual station ident?

Right. So then. Onwards and upwards. Wednesday is a day off work and I am out with my son and his girl in the morning over in Dallas and I will have a play about again in the afternoon when I get home.

Thanks Wayne for providing the repeater and tower. These things are NOT cheap or easy to do. Good job.

Brian.

K9BJR.

On Monday, December 14, 2020, 03:46:22 PM CST, Wayne Morris - AC5V <waynemia@...> wrote:

OK, the repeater, 145.25/162.2, has the wires-x connection set to FM.

From: wc5c@groups.io <wc5c@groups.io> On Behalf Of Wayne Morris - AC5V
Sent: Monday, December 14, 2020 2:41 PM

It is on digital fir wires-x today, I change it this afternoon.

Sent: Monday, December 14, 2020 1:13 PM

Excellent.

(visions of Mr. Burns from the Simpsons).

I shall try this when I stop work latter this afternoon.

On Monday, December 14, 2020, 10:03:38 AM CST, Wayne Morris - AC5V <waynemia@...> wrote:

I heard back from John Kruk of Yaesu who confirmed the Wires function in your radio is a convenience for storing and sending the DTMF tones to connect to FM (analog) repeaters with Wires-X in analog mode. The radio does not have C4FM (F7W) emission which is the Yaesu digital mode so it does not have that digital capability.

ANY radio can use the repeater when it is linked to other repeaters or nodes without doing anything different that normal repeater operations. It is just like using a regular local repeater only all signals going into the repeater are also sent to the connected nodes via the internet. Any signals received on the internet are forwarded to the local repeater.

The only time you would need to interact with the repeater is to connect to a node/room, disconnect from a node/room, or change the connection.

In analog, this works like the old phone patch system. You send CTCSS (Touch Tone) signals to the repeater (when it is not transmitting of course).

Analog FM example:

America Link, #21080, is a room that over 100 simultaneous connections are usually on at any time.

If the repeater is not connected to a room, just send the DTMF tones for #21080. If you have a DTMF microphone, you usually just press and hold the PTT button and press the digits.

The repeater will respond with a connected message. My repeater has a voice module so it normally tells you that it made the connection. I am not sure how the repeaters respond that don’t have voice but it will typically send some CW string like R to connect or H when it disconnects.

#66666 is a command to ask if the repeater is connected. My repeater will tell you the room number.

#9999 is a disconnect command. When using the system, you can leave the repeater connected to the room but normally, you would disconnect by sending this command. It will respond with a CW H or voice that it is disconnected.

My repeater times out the connection after some period regardless if it has been used, transmitting does not reset the timer.

That is it. Bottom line, if you hear someone on the repeater, you can talk to them. If you want to a specific room, you can tell the repeater to connect to it.

TexasNexus, #21636, is another popular room. Just because it says Texas, it does not mean only Texas stations are connected, it could be anywhere in the World!

This link is a list of all the latest ACTVE rooms. https://www.yaesu.com/jp/en/wires-x/id/active_room.php You can use this list to find rooms in an area you are interested in, maybe near a friend or relative.

I have a room that can also be used. My room number is #45530. If you and a friend want to talk to each other, your friend can connect to my room (or any other room) and you could connect to my room, presumably through my repeater but not required) and chat like you were both on the same repeater.

One benefit of this system, and systems like it, is that you have the opportunity to talk to people all over the world. Many Technicians primarily use VHF-UHF and that limits them to local areas. This expands their reach. Also, the local repeaters are sometimes not used as frequently so you may not have anyone to talk to. You can usually find someone, somewhere on the Wires-X system. This is great now that so many are retired or working from home.

If you want more information, please check into the Elmer Net on Tuesdays at 7pm, email me at AC5V@... , or you can watch this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogq_49XeozY

73s,

Wayne, AC5V

Sent: Thursday, December 10, 2020 5:26 PM
Subject: Re: [wc5c] Yaesu Digital mode (Yaesu System Fusion)

We need to get on the air and try it out. I think that it works in analog mode.

There is some data modes on that radio. It just does not have CF4M.

Let me know when you would like to give it a try.

Sent: Thursday, December 10, 2020 6:25 AM

It seems my FM radio (Yaesu 2980-R) handles Wires-X not YSF.

On Wednesday, December 9, 2020, 08:49:44 PM CST, Wayne Morris - AC5V <waynemia@...> wrote:

Here is a video by John Kruk explaining Yaesu System Fusion (YSF). The first half describes YSF and the second half has more about Wires-X.

https://youtu.be/FiQcmAb_e70

--
73s,
Wayne, AC5V

--
73s,
Wayne, AC5V

--
73s,
Wayne, AC5V

--
73s,
Wayne, AC5V

--
73s,
Wayne, AC5V

--
73s,
Wayne, AC5V

jurgencombs1958

I had a great afternoon with wane AC5V .

I was trying to get on his repeaters analog node. May have made it if it was not in digital setup at the time. Lol

So he ran me through the digital repeater and wires-x procedures.

I am so glad I waited to buy the Yaesu digital instead of hurrying and not getting digital.

The audio clarity was amazing.

Many thanks and Merry Christmas 

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy , an AT&T LTE smartphone

-------- Original message --------
Date: 12/14/20 6:41 PM (GMT-06:00)

Great!! I worked with KI5MDI this afternoon and got him working on his FTM-300 in digital mode. Now, he will try the same thing, it won’t work, and he may wonder why.

If you can hear the repeater saying, “This is AC5V not connected.” It is in analog mode. If you don’t hear that on FM, then it is probably in Digital mode.

If you don’t hear it saying, “This is AC5V not connected.” and connecting in digital mode does not work, you might want to let me know. 😉 It might be turned off or I may be working on it.

I sometimes have the repeater announcing that the Wires0X is available in digital mode also.

I hope more of you get a chance to try it out. Let me know if you have problems and I will try to help.

BTW – I should have my 70cm repeater up full time by Monday. It will not be capable of Wires-X but it will do YSF digital and Analog FM using the AMS automatic switch mode.

Wayne, AC5V

Programmed in on my side and all I have to do now is remember to hold down the PTT when I send the DTMF tones. I sat there and wondered why it didn't generate them for a good 10 minutes.  DOH!!!! Yes, I did send the disconnect sequence when I was done.

Getting full quieting back on receive on my end from your repeater (i.e. "5 and 9") too. Not bad considering we must be getting on for 16 miles apart. All to do with both antenna height and (to a lesser extent) power I am sure. 

I think someone was sending CW at 5:36pm too. It was a distinctly different tone and slower too than your usual station ident?

Right. So then. Onwards and upwards. Wednesday is a day off work and I am out with my son and his girl in the morning over in Dallas and I will have a play about again in the afternoon when I get home.

Thanks Wayne for providing the repeater and tower. These things are NOT cheap or easy to do. Good job.

Brian.

K9BJR.

On Monday, December 14, 2020, 03:46:22 PM CST, Wayne Morris - AC5V <waynemia@...> wrote:

Excellent.

On Monday, December 14, 2020, 10:03:38 AM CST, Wayne Morris - AC5V <waynemia@...> wrote:

I heard back from John Kruk of Yaesu who confirmed the Wires function in your radio is a convenience for storing and sending the DTMF tones to connect to FM (analog) repeaters with Wires-X in analog mode. The radio does not have C4FM (F7W) emission which is the Yaesu digital mode so it does not have that digital capability.

ANY radio can use the repeater when it is linked to other repeaters or nodes without doing anything different that normal repeater operations. It is just like using a regular local repeater only all signals going into the repeater are also sent to the connected nodes via the internet. Any signals received on the internet are forwarded to the local repeater.

The only time you would need to interact with the repeater is to connect to a node/room, disconnect from a node/room, or change the connection.

In analog, this works like the old phone patch system. You send CTCSS (Touch Tone) signals to the repeater (when it is not transmitting of course).

Analog FM example:

America Link, #21080, is a room that over 100 simultaneous connections are usually on at any time.

If the repeater is not connected to a room, just send the DTMF tones for #21080. If you have a DTMF microphone, you usually just press and hold the PTT button and press the digits.

The repeater will respond with a connected message. My repeater has a voice module so it normally tells you that it made the connection. I am not sure how the repeaters respond that don’t have voice but it will typically send some CW string like R to connect or H when it disconnects.

#66666 is a command to ask if the repeater is connected. My repeater will tell you the room number.

#9999 is a disconnect command. When using the system, you can leave the repeater connected to the room but normally, you would disconnect by sending this command. It will respond with a CW H or voice that it is disconnected.

My repeater times out the connection after some period regardless if it has been used, transmitting does not reset the timer.

That is it. Bottom line, if you hear someone on the repeater, you can talk to them. If you want to a specific room, you can tell the repeater to connect to it.

TexasNexus, #21636, is another popular room. Just because it says Texas, it does not mean only Texas stations are connected, it could be anywhere in the World!

This link is a list of all the latest ACTVE rooms. https://www.yaesu.com/jp/en/wires-x/id/active_room.php You can use this list to find rooms in an area you are interested in, maybe near a friend or relative.

I have a room that can also be used. My room number is #45530. If you and a friend want to talk to each other, your friend can connect to my room (or any other room) and you could connect to my room, presumably through my repeater but not required) and chat like you were both on the same repeater.

One benefit of this system, and systems like it, is that you have the opportunity to talk to people all over the world. Many Technicians primarily use VHF-UHF and that limits them to local areas. This expands their reach. Also, the local repeaters are sometimes not used as frequently so you may not have anyone to talk to. You can usually find someone, somewhere on the Wires-X system. This is great now that so many are retired or working from home.

If you want more information, please check into the Elmer Net on Tuesdays at 7pm, email me at AC5V@... , or you can watch this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogq_49XeozY

73s,

Wayne, AC5V

On Wednesday, December 9, 2020, 08:49:44 PM CST, Wayne Morris - AC5V <waynemia@...> wrote:

Here is a video by John Kruk explaining Yaesu System Fusion (YSF). The first half describes YSF and the second half has more about Wires-X.

--
73s,
Wayne, AC5V

--
73s,
Wayne, AC5V

--
73s,
Wayne, AC5V

--
73s,
Wayne, AC5V

--
73s,
Wayne, AC5V

--
73s,
Wayne, AC5V

Wayne Morris - AC5V

Wayne, AC5V

Programmed in on my side and all I have to do now is remember to hold down the PTT when I send the DTMF tones. I sat there and wondered why it didn't generate them for a good 10 minutes. Image removed by sender. Emoji DOH!!!! Yes, I did send the disconnect sequence when I was done.

Brian.

K9BJR.

Excellent.

Analog FM example:

73s,

Wayne, AC5V

--
73s,
Wayne, AC5V

--
73s,
Wayne, AC5V

--
73s,
Wayne, AC5V

--
73s,
Wayne, AC5V

--
73s,
Wayne, AC5V

--
73s,
Wayne, AC5V

Brian Richman

Programmed in on my side and all I have to do now is remember to hold down the PTT when I send the DTMF tones. I sat there and wondered why it didn't generate them for a good 10 minutes. Emoji DOH!!!! Yes, I did send the disconnect sequence when I was done.

Brian.
K9BJR.

Excellent.

Analog FM example:

73s,

Wayne, AC5V

--
73s,
Wayne, AC5V

--
73s,
Wayne, AC5V

--
73s,
Wayne, AC5V

--
73s,
Wayne, AC5V

--
73s,
Wayne, AC5V

Wayne Morris - AC5V

Excellent.

Analog FM example:

73s,

Wayne, AC5V

--
73s,
Wayne, AC5V

--
73s,
Wayne, AC5V

--
73s,
Wayne, AC5V

--
73s,
Wayne, AC5V

--
73s,
Wayne, AC5V

Wayne Morris - AC5V

Excellent.

Analog FM example:

73s,

Wayne, AC5V

--
73s,
Wayne, AC5V

--
73s,
Wayne, AC5V

--
73s,
Wayne, AC5V

--
73s,
Wayne, AC5V

Brian Richman

Excellent.

Analog FM example:

73s,

Wayne, AC5V

--
73s,
Wayne, AC5V

--
73s,
Wayne, AC5V

--
73s,
Wayne, AC5V

Wayne Morris - AC5V

Analog FM example:

73s,

Wayne, AC5V

--
73s,
Wayne, AC5V

--
73s,
Wayne, AC5V

--
73s,
Wayne, AC5V