IRLP or Echolink

Paul

Hello,

What is the consensus on IRLP or Echolink?  Which is better? I have plenty of bandwidth to run either of the systems.  I have done a lot of the Icom proprietary IDAS/NXDN VOIP but never IRLP or Echolink. I do have the Echolink connection thru this computer, not the actual connection to a control station or repeater.

Paul

WB5IDM

"A gun, like any other source of power, is a force for either good or

evil, being neither in itself, but dependent upon those who possess it."

Quote from the Movie “Colt .45 with Randolph Scott” 1950

Wayne Morris, AC5V

I would say Echolink because anyone with a phone and a callsign can use it.

What is the consensus on IRLP or Echolink?  Which is better? I have plenty of bandwidth to run either of the systems.  I have done a lot of the Icom proprietary IDAS/NXDN VOIP but never IRLP or Echolink. I do have the Echolink connection thru this computer, not the actual connection to a control station or repeater.

Paul

WB5IDM

"A gun, like any other source of power, is a force for either good or

evil, being neither in itself, but dependent upon those who possess it."

Quote from the Movie “Colt .45 with Randolph Scott” 1950

Jon, N5JLD

I'll second Wayne on the Echolink

On Sun, Mar 22, 2020, 14:33 Wayne Morris <waynemia@...> wrote:

I would say Echolink because anyone with a phone and a callsign can use it.

What is the consensus on IRLP or Echolink?  Which is better? I have plenty of bandwidth to run either of the systems.  I have done a lot of the Icom proprietary IDAS/NXDN VOIP but never IRLP or Echolink. I do have the Echolink connection thru this computer, not the actual connection to a control station or repeater.

Paul

WB5IDM

"A gun, like any other source of power, is a force for either good or

evil, being neither in itself, but dependent upon those who possess it."

Quote from the Movie “Colt .45 with Randolph Scott” 1950

---------
Have fun,
Jon N5JLD
www.n5jld.net

Richard Marx

I would say echolink because I am able to use it / never tried IRLP.

On Sun, Mar 22, 2020 at 4:34 PM Jon, N5JLD <n5jld.tx@...> wrote:
[...]

Daniel Wiley

Echolink much easier! IRLP you need a Hardware interface from David Cameron, and setup a Linux PC. IRPL you have to have a Radio connect to PC for it to work.

Dan
N9BAV

Brian Richman

I am on Echolink. Apart from allowing a couple of UDP ports on your firewalls, it is easy.

It kind of feels like Skype for Radio Hams but without the Radio!!!