From: "Brian Richman via Groups.Io" <bjrichus@...>
Date: 12/6/19 4:05 PM (GMT-06:00)
To: wc5c@groups.io
Subject: [wc5c] 2m Digital?

So looking to replace my low end HT with a decent 2m outfit, do we have any repeaters with digital capability in the area? I know the Azle one isn't but this might influence what brand of radio is why.

I'd ask on the air, but I'm not able to next week as I am going to be working solidly all week and won't have free time until about the 16th.

------------
Brian R.

Brian Richman

Getting to Dallas from there huh? That's impressive.

What's the radio and antenna?

On Friday, December 6, 2019, 04:40:39 PM CST, wwg2248 <wwg2248@...> wrote:

There are some 2meter c4fm repeaters, 145.270 in watauga(miss spelled) 146.960 in Dallas which is easy to hit in Springtown. W5BNK

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S7 active, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone

So looking to replace my low end HT with a decent 2m outfit, do we have any repeaters with digital capability in the area? I know the Azle one isn't but this might influence what brand of radio is why.

I'd ask on the air, but I'm not able to next week as I am going to be working solidly all week and won't have free time until about the 16th.

------------
Brian R.

wwg2248

Radio is a Yaesu 3200dr 2 meter, antenna a dr. Fong about 45 ft in a tree

#1 Made for the US market – No goofy programming stuff on the repeater shift and stuff. I MUST have ARS – Automatic Repeater Shift. It also need to be easy to set the tone type and frequency.

Memories – I don’t need 900 memories. I use maybe 10 or 15.

APRS – I like to have APRS but it is not a deal killer for most people.

Dual band – I like having 2mtr and 440 bands. 220 is also a possibility. You will need appropriate antennas.

Power – up to 50W normally.

Dual receive – Not a big deal to some people but this lets you listen to two frequencies at once. V/V, V/U, U/V, or U/U (V=VHF, U=UHF)

Ease of operation – I don’t want it to be complicated when mobile.

General Coverage Receive – I like listening to air band and so forth.

Weather frequencies – Monitor NOAA and having weather alert is good to. The radio signals and switches to the weather frequency when there is a weather alert.

Wires-X – I wanted Wires-X which is a radio to internet interface. Competing systems are D-Star and DMR. I have not tried to connect with D-Star or DMR. These systems are supported by different brands of radios. Yaesu is the Wires-X so that is where I am. You need a node or repeater to use them. We don’t have a lot of options in this area. I have experimented with setting up a node at my station. After I put the next tower section up, I may put a Wires-X node online. I am interested in it anyway. I made a contact with a Ham in South Korea using my 2 mtr radio on Wires-X. These systems are essentially RF <-> Internet node <-> internet node <-> RF. So radios on each end connect to a node. Then they can communicate but the internet is carrying the voice over IP in between.

So it is basically price based. I have not been impressed with the cheap “china” radios. I am much happier spending more for a reputable brand. I will always look at Yaesu first but I do have a Kenwood. Icom is another popular brand. I am sure there are other options and opinions about them. My first radio was a Yaesu. The first Ham experience I had was visiting a friend who had a Yaesu. I am just more familiar their products and have had positive experiences.

Pick the features that are “Must Haves” for you, then the “want to haves”, and then everything else is a “don’t care” .

Pick a budget, then go shopping.

If you are looking for a basic, single band mobile with 40W – 50W, you may be able to find a good one used. A new one, like the Yaesu FT-2980R, is on sale for $140.

Good luck

So looking to replace my low end HT with a decent 2m outfit, do we have any repeaters with digital capability in the area? I know the Azle one isn't but this might influence what brand of radio is why.

I'd ask on the air, but I'm not able to next week as I am going to be working solidly all week and won't have free time until about the 16th.

------------

Brian R.

Brian Richman

Exactly Wayne; Mobile and using it as a base.

Thanks.

------------
Brian R.

On Friday, December 6, 2019, 07:35:45 PM CST, Wayne Morris <waynemia@...> wrote:

I have not had much opportunity to use digital modes in the area. There are some but even those typically support analog FM.

I guess you are thinking a mobile not HT (although you may be operating it at a fixed location).

My hit list, in no particular order, is:

So looking to replace my low end HT with a decent 2m outfit, do we have any repeaters with digital capability in the area? I know the Azle one isn't but this might influence what brand of radio is why.

I'd ask on the air, but I'm not able to next week as I am going to be working solidly all week and won't have free time until about the 16th.

------------

Brian R.

Jim

My somewhat personal impressions from personal experiences.  Digital is probably more common and accepted on HF than on 2 meters.  It can be done.  My own VHF/UHF radio is a KenwoodTM-V71.  Yes, it is a little old.  It is used as a base, or home, station connected to the main computer through an external sound card.  I use an external sound card, or interface, to keep the computer system sounds from being sent out on the air.  The software of choice, for me, is the fldigi suite.  This software is open source under the GNU license and is available at http://www.w1hkj.com/ or at Source Forge.  The software is compiled and tested on almost any computer operating system a person might want: Windows as far back as 7 through 10, Mac OSx, and Linux or any of its derivatives.

The external sound card I use was ordered for an earlier radio and was ordered with a programming module and cable for that radio.  After getting the Kenwood radio and doing some investigating, the same module and cable are also used for the Kenwood radio.  The setup and configuration of the software is well thought out and explained in a Help document that is a PDF download from the same site.

Good luck in the searching,

Jim Good kd5vxh

On 12/6/19 7:35 PM, Wayne Morris wrote:

I have not had much opportunity to use digital modes in the area. There are some but even those typically support analog FM.

I guess you are thinking a mobile not HT (although you may be operating it at a fixed location).

My hit list, in no particular order, is:

So looking to replace my low end HT with a decent 2m outfit, do we have any repeaters with digital capability in the area? I know the Azle one isn't but this might influence what brand of radio is why.

I'd ask on the air, but I'm not able to next week as I am going to be working solidly all week and won't have free time until about the 16th.

------------

Brian R.

Brian Richman

I'll share what I decide (likely the Yaesu as it's available at a good price right now), but not until late next week - as these next 10 days are the busiest of the year for me at work. Zero free time. Some years we have taken sleeping bags in for a day or two...

------------
Brian R.

On Friday, December 6, 2019, 09:19:45 PM CST, Jim <jamesgood@...> wrote:

[...]

I agree with Jim that we have a lot of digital modes on HF. I personally work FT-8 as my primary mode on HF. When we are talking about digital mode on repeaters, we are typically talking about digitized phone (voice) communications. It is like the transition of broadcast television from analog to digital transmissions. Digital repeaters, like the Yaesu Fusion and others, accept a digitized voice transmission on the input and transmit a digitized voice on the output. The user’s radios have to have the modem to encode and decode the signals. One of the benefits is superb audio. It also provides a narrower bandwidth than analog.

I will mention here that 2 mtrs also has hams using SSB, CW, and more. FM is the dominant mode and a lot of people may not know that the other modes are used. This applies to 6 mtrs as well. While 6 mtrs sits just above what we define as HF, it has a lot of modes being used and can offer good long distance communications when the propagation is good. Another benefit of working on 6 mtrs is antenna size. People with limited spaces can frequently deploy directional beam antennas with good results.

By the way, if anyone wants to experiment with a mode, I am game to try it.  I can operate most modes on all the HF bands plus 6mtrs, 2mtrs, and 70cm (440MHz).

So looking to replace my low end HT with a decent 2m outfit, do we have any repeaters with digital capability in the area? I know the Azle one isn't but this might influence what brand of radio is why.

I'd ask on the air, but I'm not able to next week as I am going to be working solidly all week and won't have free time until about the 16th.

------------

Brian R.

wwg2248

If you get the ftm3200dr, I have the RT systems computer Program for, can program it for you in 5 minutes if you want to. Walt W5BNK

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S7 active, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone

So looking to replace my low end HT with a decent 2m outfit, do we have any repeaters with digital capability in the area? I know the Azle one isn't but this might influence what brand of radio is why.

I'd ask on the air, but I'm not able to next week as I am going to be working solidly all week and won't have free time until about the 16th.

------------

Brian R.

Jim

Wayne,

I'm game to start doing digital on either 6 meters or 2 meters or on 440 MHz.  I would need to reconfigure both my HF radio and the computer to do the 6 meter work.  But that is no big deal since I have all of the cables needed.  Today and tomorrow I will be busy most of the day, and there are a few errands in the new week, but we should be able to set a time and frequency for at least a few tests.

Until later,

Jim

On 12/7/19 9:32 AM, Wayne Morris wrote:

[...]

I might just be getting the 3200 - thanks for the offer.

------------
Brian R.

On Saturday, December 7, 2019, 09:33:42 AM CST, wwg2248 <wwg2248@...> wrote:

If you get the ftm3200dr, I have the RT systems computer Program for, can program it for you in 5 minutes if you want to. Walt W5BNK

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S7 active, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone

So looking to replace my low end HT with a decent 2m outfit, do we have any repeaters with digital capability in the area? I know the Azle one isn't but this might influence what brand of radio is why.

I'd ask on the air, but I'm not able to next week as I am going to be working solidly all week and won't have free time until about the 16th.

------------

Brian R.

wwg2248

Just give me a shout. W5BNK  Walt

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S7 active, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone

So looking to replace my low end HT with a decent 2m outfit, do we have any repeaters with digital capability in the area? I know the Azle one isn't but this might influence what brand of radio is why.

I'd ask on the air, but I'm not able to next week as I am going to be working solidly all week and won't have free time until about the 16th.

------------

Brian R.

Wayne Morris

That one is just $109.95 after mail-in rebate.

So looking to replace my low end HT with a decent 2m outfit, do we have any repeaters with digital capability in the area? I know the Azle one isn't but this might influence what brand of radio is why.

I'd ask on the air, but I'm not able to next week as I am going to be working solidly all week and won't have free time until about the 16th.

------------

Brian R.

John Skier

Digital as in: DMR, Fusion, and/or D-Star?

There are D-start and Fusion systems in the metroplex, but they are heavily out weighted by the DMR units.
You won't find much 2m DMR, but Fusion and D-star are  both Dallas and Fort Worth and on 2 meters.

As number of clubs bought the Yeasu Fusion repeaters and many are setup to automatically switch between digital and analog, so you can have either a digital or analog QSO.

Most folks are going dual band DMR due to the lower entry price.  Depending on what you want hand held or Mobil you can get in at a very reasonable price.  Check out Ham Radio 2.0 episodes on radios  and DMRTexas for code plugs for the area.

73's

John Skier
K5SKR

--