FT-2980R Wires feature and Analog Wires-X in general

Wayne Morris - AC5V

I heard back from John Kruk of Yaesu who confirmed the Wires function in your radio is a convenience for storing and sending the DTMF tones to connect to FM (analog) repeaters with Wires-X in analog mode. The radio does not have C4FM (F7W) emission which is the Yaesu digital mode so it does not have that digital capability.

ANY radio can use the repeater when it is linked to other repeaters or nodes without doing anything different that normal repeater operations. It is just like using a regular local repeater only all signals going into the repeater are also sent to the connected nodes via the internet. Any signals received on the internet are forwarded to the local repeater.

The only time you would need to interact with the repeater is to connect to a node/room, disconnect from a node/room, or change the connection.

In analog, this works like the old phone patch system. You send CTCSS (Touch Tone) signals to the repeater (when it is not transmitting of course).

Analog FM example:

America Link, #21080, is a room that over 100 simultaneous connections are usually on at any time.

If the repeater is not connected to a room, just send the DTMF tones for #21080. If you have a DTMF microphone, you usually just press and hold the PTT button and press the digits.

The repeater will respond with a connected message. My repeater has a voice module so it normally tells you that it made the connection. I am not sure how the repeaters respond that don’t have voice but it will typically send some CW string like R to connect or H when it disconnects.

#66666 is a command to ask if the repeater is connected. My repeater will tell you the room number.

#9999 is a disconnect command. When using the system, you can leave the repeater connected to the room but normally, you would disconnect by sending this command. It will respond with a CW H or voice that it is disconnected.

My repeater times out the connection after some period regardless if it has been used, transmitting does not reset the timer.

That is it. Bottom line, if you hear someone on the repeater, you can talk to them. If you want to a specific room, you can tell the repeater to connect to it.

TexasNexus, #21636, is another popular room. Just because it says Texas, it does not mean only Texas stations are connected, it could be anywhere in the World!

This link is a list of all the latest ACTVE rooms. https://www.yaesu.com/jp/en/wires-x/id/active_room.php You can use this list to find rooms in an area you are interested in, maybe near a friend or relative.

I have a room that can also be used. My room number is #45530. If you and a friend want to talk to each other, your friend can connect to my room (or any other room) and you could connect to my room, presumably through my repeater but not required) and chat like you were both on the same repeater.

One benefit of this system, and systems like it, is that you have the opportunity to talk to people all over the world. Many Technicians primarily use VHF-UHF and that limits them to local areas. This expands their reach. Also, the local repeaters are sometimes not used as frequently so you may not have anyone to talk to. You can usually find someone, somewhere on the Wires-X system. This is great now that so many are retired or working from home.

If you want more information, please check into the Elmer Net on Tuesdays at 7pm, email me at AC5V@... , or you can watch this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogq_49XeozY