Topics

M0UKD Capacitive Touch Key and W8BH Morse Tutor (ESP32 rev 1) #esp32 #keys

Ken KM4NFQ

This is a short clip of my newly soldered and wired M0UKD Capacitive Touch Key plugged into an ESP32 version of the W8BH Morse Tutor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iu2Kv7bFqHA

It is very sensitive. I am accustomed to lightly touching the paddles with my fingers when keying. With this key I am not able to do that. The slightest touch sends a DIT or a DAH.

This is my first KiCad 5.0.2 schematic and PCB. I generated the Gerbers from the PCB. I sent the Gerbers for the board to OSH Park on 11 December 2019 and got them in the mail today, 27 December 2019. I am very pleased that the circuit works so well. There are a total of ten SMD components on the board. I soldered them with solder paste and a hot air gun.

My PCB mistakes include a misspelling and I forgot to make mounting holes. I can live with the misspelling, and I drilled my own mounting holes. This is my fourth homebrew Key, and my third paddle.

I ordered the ESP32 rev 2B boards from JLCPCB, and according to the tracking reports they are In-Transit. I expect a minimum of at least three weeks since I got the Economy S&H.

--
Regards,
Ken, KM4NFQ "Not Fully Qualified"

Ken KM4NFQ

I have put my KiCad 5.0.2 files up at GutHub:

https://github.com/km4nfq/capacitive-touch-key

I added mounting holes and corrected a misspelled callsign.

I have no idea if the construction files will work for anyone else, but the Gerbers are good.
Attached are a couple of screenshots of the 'Preview' PCBs at JCLPCB (green) and OSH Park (purple).

--
Regards,
Ken, KM4NFQ "Not Fully Qualified"
https://groups.io/g/w8bhMorseTutor

Bruce Hall

Ken,

Great job!  Thanks for posting this cute little pcb.   I had fun trying all sorts of paddles.
Here is a short video with oranges: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwiDiAJ7B0I

Bruce

On Sat, Dec 28, 2019 at 3:22 PM Ken KM4NFQ <km4nfq@...> wrote:
I have put my KiCad 5.0.2 files up at GutHub:

https://github.com/km4nfq/capacitive-touch-key

I added mounting holes and corrected a misspelled callsign.

I have no idea if the construction files will work for anyone else, but the Gerbers are good.
Attached are a couple of screenshots of the 'Preview' PCBs at JCLPCB (green) and OSH Park (purple).

--
Regards,
Ken, KM4NFQ "Not Fully Qualified"
https://groups.io/g/w8bhMorseTutor

Ken KM4NFQ

Thanks for the video clip Bruce!

I have seen bananas used with a Capacitive Touch Piano before, but this is the first time I have seen Oranges used to send the Morse code. Well done. ;-D