Topics

Putting a W8BH Morse Tutor on a 'Blue Pill' with Linux #stm32

Ken KM4NFQ

I made this wiring diagram for the ST-LINK V2 dongle and the STM32F103C8T6 'Blue Pill' (generic).

--
Regards,
Ken, KM4NFQ "Not Fully Qualified"

Ken KM4NFQ

Well now, I don't know what to say.
I can now program an STM32 with the Arduino IDE.
And it was relatively painless. Go figure.

I was keeping notes, so I will refer to them.
This is with Debian GNU/Linux 10 "Buster" and Arduino IDE 1.8.9

# apt-get install gcc-arm-none-eabi

That seems to have put stuff here:
$HOME/.arduino15/packages/STM32/tools/xpack-arm-none-eabi-gcc/9.2.1-1.1/

This link goes in the Arduino IDE
File > Preferences > Additional Boards Manager URLs:
http://dan.drown.org/stm32duino/package_STM32duino_index.json

Arduino IDE
Tools > Board > Boards Manager

Connect the STM32F103C8T6 to an ST-LINK V2 dongle and plug it in the USB port.

Open and setup the Arduino IDE:
Tools > Board > Board Manager
Type: Contributed
I Installed this one:
STM32F1xx/GD32F1xx boards by stm32duino 2019.12.20

Board: "Generic STM32F103 series"
Variant: "STM32F103C8T6 (20k RAM, 128k Flash)"
Upload method: "STLink"
CPU Speed(MHz): "72MHz (Normal)"
Optimize: "Smallest (default)"
Port: "/dev/ttyS0"

[Upload]

Jolly good! <-- when you see this, the Sketch has been uploaded successfully!

I may have already had the UDEV 49 Rules installed when I installed the stlink utilities?

I have successfully installed and gotten the Blue Pill working in the Arduino IDE two previous times.
The first time was with Debian 8 "Jessie", the second time was with Debian 9 "Stretch", and it took me
days to get it to work, both times. I remember it being extremely frustrating.

But this third time was the charm on Debian 10 "Buster".
It was almost as easy as getting an ESP32 to work in the Arduino IDE. Almost.