Re: Pocket Tutor - hardware update

Ken Kaplan

Yes, I just printed the shared cart.
Will take some time and see if I need to adjust anything.
Ordered the boards from jclpcb.
Ken

On Sat, Jul 18, 2020, 5:18 PM Bruce Hall <bhall66@...> wrote:
Ken,

I put a shared cart on the builder's guide, which will create a single DigiKey order for most of the parts.
When I order I get lots of extras, so please review and adjust the quantities of each item you want.  Of course, if you prefer Mouser or another distributor, you will need to order them separately.

Bruce

On Sat, Jul 18, 2020 at 5:04 PM Ken Kaplan <wb2art@...> wrote:
Thanks for the hints.
I'm going to get boards and parts ordered, probably tomorrow.
73
Ken
WB2ART

On Sat, Jul 18, 2020, 4:59 PM Bruce Hall <bhall66@...> wrote:
I have a few tips for anyone building the Pocket Tutor:

1.  The power supply needs a decoupling capacitor across the battery.  You should solder an additional 10uF cap across the pins of the battery jack J1.

2.  The audio and key jacks are recessed by about a millimeter.  Normally this isn't a problem, but one my plugs fails to make good contact.   So, when soldering these jacks, please situate them as close as possible to the board edge.  The extra-large soldering pads give you some leeway.

I updated the builder's guide to reflect these two changes.

Bruce

Join w8bhMorseTutor@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.