Topics

Yard inside Reversing Loop for DCC

Bill Ervin

Hi, I am new to the forum and am trying to wire a new yard inside a reversing loop for my DCC system. Question: How do I wire the feeders in the loop so that more than one train can enter and leave the yard? Here is a photo of what I am doing. https://groups.io/g/w4dccqa/album?id=259952
--
W.J. Ervin

wirefordcc

Hi Bill,

What you want to do isn't difficult.  I did something similar on my last layout.  If you want to see it, go to my website at:  http://www.wiringfordcc.com/track_2.htm#a48
and scroll down to the section titled "An Example of a Large Layout With COmplex Trackage.  You will see a balloon track with some yard tracks.

Just wire all your tracks that you have shown in red to the output of an automatic reverse section controller (ARSC).  If you will have more locomotives in your reverse section than can be handled by an ARSC, then use a booster with auto reverse capability.

Allan Gartner
Wiring for DCC

Tim

I agree with Allan on this, except that I'd use a DPDT relay tied to the turnout control for the first red turnout on the right. (But then, I'm a bit old-fashioned. :) )

Since only one train can go through this turnout at a time, you can run whatever you want inside the loop and yard and everything will work fine.

Tim Rumph
Lancaster, SC

wirefordcc

You can definitely use a relay tied the throat relay of the balloon track.  That is how I did it.

Allan Gartner
Wiring for DCC

Steve Haas

W. J.,

The answers you’ve been given so far and exotic, technically correct, and unfortunately much more elegant that what you need to do.

Read on:

  1. Your plan shows insulators on both rails on both branches of the turnout that creates the reversing loop – the turnout directly below the word “insulators”,
  2. The insulators (gaps) on the right hand (Diverging) side of the turnout are in the correct place,
  3. The insulators on the left side of that turnout should be removed, and replaced with regular rail joiners,
  4. Move the insulators Removed in step 3  to the left end of the straight side of the turnout that provides access to the yard,
  5. Move the output side of the AR-1 from between the two turnouts to the straight track beyond the turnout to the yard and the gaps just moved there from the turnout on the right.

When done, the only track in the reversing section (red) should be the reversing loop itself, from the double gaps on the diverging route of the turnout under “Insulators” counter clockwise to the insulators at the left end of the straight side of the turnout that provided entrance to the yard.

The two switches we’ve been talking about and the short section of track between them should all be made part of the regular track (white) to the right side of the turnout under “insulators”.

The net result of all this is the two switches, the straight track between them, and the yard are all outside the jurisdiction of the reversing unit.

(The above assumes that the turnouts in question have proper frog polarity management, and any necessary insulators on the exit side of both routes beyond the turnout frogs.)

Give a holler if you have additional questions.  I’ll be glad to help!

Best regards,

Steve

Steve Haas

Snoqualmie, WA

Jim Betz

Steve,
  I rarely disagree with you/find any fault in what you say.  This time is different.
I would simply wire the 'yard inside the loop' to be the same as the turnout
where it connects to the loop - not to the "white" part of the layout.  And let
the reverser ('reversing method') you use for the loop do its magic for all
red track.  I.e. set the loop turnout to the side for the yard and run the
trains in/out as you want them - including the possibility of running a train
all the way around the loop and then backing it into the 'yard' (storage/staging?)
area.
                                                                                           - Jim

Bill Ervin

You guys are great. Thanks for the input.
--
W.J. Ervin

Steve Haas

Hi Jim,

To be honest I could go either way, your approach or mine.

When it comes to layout wiring, I grew up as a student of Westcott and Mallory – that has stayed with me through the years and continues to influence my designs for layout blocking.  One of the things that has stuck with me over the years is that block boundaries should be on the frog end of turnouts, not the point end.  While many things have changed with DCC, I find that those rules still serve me well.

The layout appears to be designed using snap track or something equivalent.  If that’s the case, the difference between your preferred design and mine is about 18”.  If the track between those two turnouts was longer I’d be more inclined to create a separate, non-reversing block between  the two turnouts and including the yard in that  non-reversing section.

But . . . .  we’re splitting some mighty fine hairs here!

Best regards,

Steve

Steve Haas

Snoqualmie, WA

Bill Ervin

--Thanks all for your help. I think I understand and it looks easier than I imagined.

W.J. Ervin