Topics

Wiring Programming Track

mgj21932

I have an NCE PowerCab. Originally I wired a totally separate (physically and electrically via DPDT switch) programming track. Due to revision to track layout and space limitations, that track segment no longer exists and the opportunity for a physically separate programming track does not exist.
Looking at the wiring diagram for the NCE Auto-Switch it is unclear how the non-mainline segment wired as the programing track is powered when not in programming mode. Is the power vectored to that segment via the wires from the programming track output from the Auto-Switch when in non-programming mode?
Or do I need to also separately wire power to this segment from the mainline outputs on the Auto-Switch in order to power this segment when in non-programming mode?

I assume the former and not the latter, but would appreciate confirmation and/or guidance.

Asked same question in NCE forum (hope doing so doesn’t violate any protocol), so apologies to any who receive this question twice (and keeping gingers crossed that I don’t receive conflicting advice).

Thanks in advance,
Bill Demarest
N&W Steam Power

Jim Betz

Bill,
  The safest way is to use a 4PDT (4 pole double throw) switch that
cuts out either side of the programming track when in programming
track mode.  The auto switch still allows a loco to creep off the end
of the programming track.
  Other guys have put physical blocks on both ends of the programming
track such as having a solenoid operated rod that comes up between
the rails (at both ends).  This also needs a multi-pole double throw
switch.  Its advantage is that the loco can never walk clear off the
programming track when doing a lot of reads such as when doing a
read-all-sheets in DecoderPro.  The disadvantage is it is more
complicated and so more work and also slightly more likely to fail.

                                                                                           - Jim

thomasmclae

Your best option is to not have the programming track on the layout.
Under, next to, or other room.
One option is a shelf under the layout you can extend or retract as needed.
Mixing programming track and mainline track is just asking for a ZAP when a Lok creeps too far.
Thomas
DeSoto, TX

Tim

A club that I belong to has the programming track in the shop/DS office/crew lounge where it's not connected to the rest of the layout. We do have provisions to connect it to the regular DCC output for testing locos on it. This is what Thomas suggested.

My layout uses the system that Jim describes, with a 4p2t cut-out switch.

Tim Rumph
Lancaster, SC

Bill Wilken

At least on my NCE system, the programming track will not work until it is commanded to be "on."  At which the rest of the layout is "off."

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.