Topics

Wiring Peco PL26 Switch to PL11 motor

James Cunningham

HELP

I have a Peco three way turnout trying to wire the switch to motor using a CDU and 16v 2amp power supply it does nothing but make noise will not work  can you please tell me what i’m doing wrong

    Thanks
      Jimmy

On Mar 26, 2020, at 9:24 PM, Michael Maioriello <bronxstrings@...> wrote:

What gauge are you using, also what system do you use. I uses Lenz system 3.6 and must use circuit breakers. The science behind this is that LENZ Invented that’s out there and smart people ran with free technology. I am not up-to date on the newer systems to pick from. Good Luck!

On Sat, Mar 21, 2020 at 10:18 PM Michael Boyle <boyle10017@...> wrote:
Greetings,
I've read, and been told, to offset the rail gaps between power districts. What is the science behind this and do we do that everywhere (for example in a reversing loop)?
Thanks,
Michael

Robert Morrison

Jimmy,

The PL-11 instructions seem to have some exceptions regarding 3-ways. The most common problem is not getting the PL-11 properly aligned and set against the ties. I don’t have a 3-way to look at but I think they would be awkward to work with because of the two throw bars close together.

Try the Peco web site for help.

Rob Morrison

Richard Sutcliffe

The other issue these turnouts may have is wheel tread bridging at the frogs.
May have to use the nail polish trick to prevent shorts.

On Apr 1, 2020, at 11:33 AM, Robert Morrison via groups.io <robmorrison42@...> wrote:

Jimmy,

The PL-11 instructions seem to have some exceptions regarding 3-ways. The most common problem is not getting the PL-11 properly aligned and set against the ties. I don’t have a 3-way to look at but I think they would be awkward to work with because of the two throw bars close together.

Try the Peco web site for help.

Rob Morrison

Max Maginness

To ask a more basic question

Are these HO turnouts?

Are they the type where the blades of  one switch can become jammed against the other set unless it is moved first?

Max

The other issue these turnouts may have is wheel tread bridging at the frogs.

May have to use the nail polish trick to prevent shorts.

On Apr 1, 2020, at 11:33 AM, Robert Morrison via groups.io <robmorrison42@...> wrote:

Jimmy,

The PL-11 instructions seem to have some exceptions regarding 3-ways. The most common problem is not getting the PL-11 properly aligned and set against the ties. I don’t have a 3-way to look at but I think they would be awkward to work with because of the two throw bars close together.

Try the Peco web site for help

Rob Morrison

James Cunningham

Thanks Rob

pekka_groups

Are your other turnouts operating well?

According to this:

https://www.maurienne-trains.com/images/Image/Peco/PL-11%20Instructions.pdf

it apppears that the green wire is the common, not the black. Did you connect the green wire(s) to one output of the CDU and the red and black wires through push buttons to the other output terminal of the CDU?

Did you test the motors before installing them to the turnout? Did the motors throw when you touched the wires with DCUs output wires (green to one output terminal and either red or black to the other terminal)?

Are you using push buttons or toggle switches? The PL-11 point motors should NOT be operated with ordinary toggle switches. Use push buttons or momentary centre-off toggle switches which will return to center-off position when relased. Those are often referred as "mom-off-mom" or "(on)-off-(on)".

The drawing on the instruction sheet is -- I think -- misleading: the PL-26 point operating switch is a strange animal: it is a momentary switch and the common terminal is not the center terminal! If you are using ordinary two way toggle switches, the capacitor will be held discharged and it will not become charged unless it is disconnected (due to release of finger on button, or toggle switches returning to center-off position). If you are using three-way center-off toggle switches, the common terminal is most often the center terminal, and the point motor's red/black wires should be connected to the two outermost connectors. See, if the switch (if you are using a toggle switch) has any markings that would confirm which connector is the common terminal.

I hope this helps.

pekka

On 31.3.2020 16.33, James Cunningham via Groups.Io wrote:
[...]

And I correct myself: Should have read the subject field more carefully: You are using the PL 26, so please ignore previous message, sorry

pekka

Ps: Always remember to put brain into gear before engaging mouth :(