Topics

Wiring Peco Electrofrogs

wirefordcc <wire4dcc@...>

Several weeks ago, someone was asking about which wires to snip on the bottom of a Peco Electrofrog. Specifically, there was a connection on the bottom of the frog they were asking about snipping. At the time, I didn't know what wire they were talking about. I've since needed to buy a Peco Electrofrog. So here's the answer.

Right near the center of the frog is a wire that is welded to the four pieces of track that make up the frog. Do NOT cut it. You want it. The tail of wire that is attached to these 4 weld points is how you will wire the frog - wire shown on green on my diagrams.

Allan
Wiring For DCC

Dale Gloer

The pictures under section SUGGESTION #2-12b: Peco
"Electrofrog" Turnout Is DCC Friendly In Just a Few Snips. answer the questions too.

Dale Gloer

--- In WiringForDCC@..., "wirefordcc" <wire4dcc@...> wrote:

Several weeks ago, someone was asking about which wires to snip on the bottom of a Peco Electrofrog. Specifically, there was a connection on the bottom of the frog they were asking about snipping. At the time, I didn't know what wire they were talking about. I've since needed to buy a Peco Electrofrog. So here's the answer.

Right near the center of the frog is a wire that is welded to the four pieces of track that make up the frog. Do NOT cut it. You want it. The tail of wire that is attached to these 4 weld points is how you will wire the frog - wire shown on green on my diagrams.

Allan
Wiring For DCC

Kevin <hassey@...>

Allan

Thanks. Have attache4d a scan of an Electrofrog with a couple of
questions. I am in the process of building a goods yard , with 17 points ,
so I want to get it right. Am using Tortoise with the electrofrogs.

My queries are:

1 Is styrene enough

2. Should I make another cut?

5 Should the under join be cut? Would 2 obviate this?

6 I think, you said DO NOT CUT

Hope I can go ahead without shorts

Regards

KEVIN

Behalf Of wirefordcc
Sent: Friday, 2 October 2009 12:04 PM
To: WiringForDCC@...
Subject: [WiringForDCC] Wiring Peco Electrofrogs

Several weeks ago, someone was asking about which wires to snip on the
bottom of a Peco Electrofrog. Specifically, there was a connection on the
bottom of the frog they were asking about snipping. At the time, I didn't
know what wire they were talking about. I've since needed to buy a Peco
Electrofrog. So here's the answer.

Right near the center of the frog is a wire that is welded to the four
pieces of track that make up the frog. Do NOT cut it. You want it. The tail
of wire that is attached to these 4 weld points is how you will wire the
frog - wire shown on green on my diagrams.

Allan
Wiring For DCC

wirefordcc <wire4dcc@...>

Kevin,

You have to post your attachments in the Files area. Yahoo doesn't allow attachments - probably an antivirus thing.

Thanks

Allan

--- In WiringForDCC@..., "Kevin" <hassey@...> wrote:

Allan

My queries are:

1 Is styrene enough

Regards

KEVIN

Behalf Of wirefordcc

Allan
Wiring For DCC

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Doug Stuard <dstuard@...>

Try here===> http://www.loystoys.com/peco/about-electrofrog.html

(Particularly the section on modifications)

Doug Stuard

--- In WiringForDCC@..., "wirefordcc" <wire4dcc@...> wrote:

Kevin,

You have to post your attachments in the Files area. Yahoo doesn't allow attachments - probably an antivirus thing.

Thanks

Allan

--- In WiringForDCC@..., "Kevin" <hassey@> wrote:

Allan

My queries are:

1 Is styrene enough

Regards

KEVIN

Behalf Of wirefordcc

Allan
Wiring For DCC

Jim Keating

All,
I have an issue with my Peco Electrofrog turnout with DCC.  It seems that I have may have failed to modify the turnout, and also have definitely failed to connect the frog to my tortoise switch machine for power routing prior to installation on the layout!  OUCH.  Modifying in place will be a pain but I can ultimately manage that :( 
My question is, can I solder a wire to the frog and connect to the tortoise WITHOUT having to completely pull up the turnout and use the provided wire underneath?  Has anyone done this?
Currently, as the turnout is being thrown, I get a short.  Then, once the turnout has completed it's diversion, I can reset the short and visa versa. 
Please advise. 
Thanks, Jim

John Johnston <towboatjohnston@...>

It sounds like you failed to use insulated joiners on the two inside rails at the point end of the frog.  There is no substitute for doing that.  Once you install the insulated joiners, you may be able to get away without power-routing the frog until the electrical connection through the point rails becomes unreliable and locomotives start losing power as they go through the turnout.

From: w4dccqa@groups.io <w4dccqa@groups.io> On Behalf Of Jim Keating via Groups.Io
Sent: Friday, February 22, 2019 2:24 PM
To: w4dccqa@groups.io
Subject: Re: [w4dccqa] Wiring Peco Electrofrogs

All,
I have an issue with my Peco Electrofrog turnout with DCC.  It seems that I have may have failed to modify the turnout, and also have definitely failed to connect the frog to my tortoise switch machine for power routing prior to installation on the layout!  OUCH.  Modifying in place will be a pain but I can ultimately manage that :( 
My question is, can I solder a wire to the frog and connect to the tortoise WITHOUT having to completely pull up the turnout and use the provided wire underneath?  Has anyone done this?
Currently, as the turnout is being thrown, I get a short.  Then, once the turnout has completed it's diversion, I can reset the short and visa versa. 
Please advise. 
Thanks, Jim

wirefordcc

Jim,

If you haven't already seen the diagram I have of the Peco Electrofrog on my website, check it out at:

http://www.wiringfordcc.com/switches_peco.htm#a2

I've never soldered to a Peco Electrofrog frog because of the wire they provide, but I have successfully soldered to many frogs of other manufacturers turnouts.  While I think you can solder to the Peco, I suggest perhaps a better course of action for the Peco.  The rails leaving the frog (see my diagram on my website) are part of the frog on a Peco.  Solder to one of the rails shown in green away from the frog.  This is preferred so that you are less likely to melt any ties around the frog and risk messing up the critical alignment of the frog.

To power route the frog, you need to cut the two jumpers I show in my website that say "cut jumpers".  This isolates the frog so that you can power route it.  You can try using a standard old-fashion razor blade to do this from the top of the turnout.  It might be thin enough to get through the gap that Peco provided in the turnout.

Everyone else:

If you install Peco Electrofrog turnouts but initially want to try to use them without power routing the frog, still drop the wire Peco provides that is attached to their frog through your table top.  Attach about 10" of wire to Peco's wire to make it long enough to use later without trying to solder a wire to it later under your benchwork in the future.

Allan Gartner
Wiring For DCC

John Cahill

There should be a very fine wire coming out from under the point to the left or right (depending on hand if point) to which you can solder a feed from one of the Tortoise auxiliary switches which are fed by the same busses as feed your track. The bit you may have missed is the two links beneath the point across the insulating plastic you can see from the top. These should have been cut or removed before fitting. 
So my first suggestion is to lift the points and address both these issues. If this is totally impractical (!) then with a very fine disc in a Dremel, you could cut down through the point VERY CAREFULLY which will isolate the frog. Then with careful soldering a wire can be attached to the inside of the frog V and then fed back to the Tortoise switch as above. I have done it with old Electrofrogs made before DCC was common. If possible also wire the fixed blades of the points to their respective buses as this eliminates another DCC weakness in Pecorino points. I have always used Peco EF points on my own DC, DCC and several exhibition layouts and find them very reliable when installed correctly with particular attention to the wiring. Hope this helps!

John

On 22 Feb 2019, at 19:24, Jim Keating via Groups.Io <jim.keating@...> wrote:

All,
Please advise. 
Thanks, Jim

Jim Keating

Thank you John, I'll check those joiners on the inside rails.

On Friday, February 22, 2019, 3:52:25 PM PST, John Cahill <johncahill25@...> wrote:

There should be a very fine wire coming out from under the point to the left or right (depending on hand if point) to which you can solder a feed from one of the Tortoise auxiliary switches which are fed by the same busses as feed your track. The bit you may have missed is the two links beneath the point across the insulating plastic you can see from the top. These should have been cut or removed before fitting. 
So my first suggestion is to lift the points and address both these issues. If this is totally impractical (!) then with a very fine disc in a Dremel, you could cut down through the point VERY CAREFULLY which will isolate the frog. Then with careful soldering a wire can be attached to the inside of the frog V and then fed back to the Tortoise switch as above. I have done it with old Electrofrogs made before DCC was common. If possible also wire the fixed blades of the points to their respective buses as this eliminates another DCC weakness in Pecorino points. I have always used Peco EF points on my own DC, DCC and several exhibition layouts and find them very reliable when installed correctly with particular attention to the wiring. Hope this helps!

John

On 22 Feb 2019, at 19:24, Jim Keating via Groups.Io <jim.keating@...> wrote:

All,
Please advise. 
Thanks, Jim

Jim Keating

Good info.  Thanks Allan.

On Friday, February 22, 2019, 3:13:26 PM PST, wirefordcc <bigboy@...> wrote:

Jim,

If you haven't already seen the diagram I have of the Peco Electrofrog on my website, check it out at:

http://www.wiringfordcc.com/switches_peco.htm#a2

I've never soldered to a Peco Electrofrog frog because of the wire they provide, but I have successfully soldered to many frogs of other manufacturers turnouts.  While I think you can solder to the Peco, I suggest perhaps a better course of action for the Peco.  The rails leaving the frog (see my diagram on my website) are part of the frog on a Peco.  Solder to one of the rails shown in green away from the frog.  This is preferred so that you are less likely to melt any ties around the frog and risk messing up the critical alignment of the frog.

To power route the frog, you need to cut the two jumpers I show in my website that say "cut jumpers".  This isolates the frog so that you can power route it.  You can try using a standard old-fashion razor blade to do this from the top of the turnout.  It might be thin enough to get through the gap that Peco provided in the turnout.

Everyone else:

If you install Peco Electrofrog turnouts but initially want to try to use them without power routing the frog, still drop the wire Peco provides that is attached to their frog through your table top.  Attach about 10" of wire to Peco's wire to make it long enough to use later without trying to solder a wire to it later under your benchwork in the future.

Allan Gartner
Wiring For DCC