Topics

Wiring Peco Electrofrogs

wirefordcc <wire4dcc@...>

Several weeks ago, someone was asking about which wires to snip on the bottom of a Peco Electrofrog. Specifically, there was a connection on the bottom of the frog they were asking about snipping. At the time, I didn't know what wire they were talking about. I've since needed to buy a Peco Electrofrog. So here's the answer.

Right near the center of the frog is a wire that is welded to the four pieces of track that make up the frog. Do NOT cut it. You want it. The tail of wire that is attached to these 4 weld points is how you will wire the frog - wire shown on green on my diagrams.

Allan
Wiring For DCC

Dale Gloer

The pictures under section SUGGESTION #2-12b: Peco
"Electrofrog" Turnout Is DCC Friendly In Just a Few Snips. answer the questions too.

Dale Gloer

--- In WiringForDCC@..., "wirefordcc" <wire4dcc@...> wrote:

Several weeks ago, someone was asking about which wires to snip on the bottom of a Peco Electrofrog. Specifically, there was a connection on the bottom of the frog they were asking about snipping. At the time, I didn't know what wire they were talking about. I've since needed to buy a Peco Electrofrog. So here's the answer.

Right near the center of the frog is a wire that is welded to the four pieces of track that make up the frog. Do NOT cut it. You want it. The tail of wire that is attached to these 4 weld points is how you will wire the frog - wire shown on green on my diagrams.

Allan
Wiring For DCC

Kevin <hassey@...>

Allan

Thanks. Have attache4d a scan of an Electrofrog with a couple of
questions. I am in the process of building a goods yard , with 17 points ,
so I want to get it right. Am using Tortoise with the electrofrogs.

My queries are:

1 Is styrene enough

2. Should I make another cut?

5 Should the under join be cut? Would 2 obviate this?

6 I think, you said DO NOT CUT

Hope I can go ahead without shorts

Regards

KEVIN

Several weeks ago, someone was asking about which wires to snip on the
bottom of a Peco Electrofrog. Specifically, there was a connection on the
bottom of the frog they were asking about snipping. At the time, I didn't
know what wire they were talking about. I've since needed to buy a Peco
Electrofrog. So here's the answer.

Right near the center of the frog is a wire that is welded to the four
pieces of track that make up the frog. Do NOT cut it. You want it. The tail
of wire that is attached to these 4 weld points is how you will wire the
frog - wire shown on green on my diagrams.

Allan
Wiring For DCC

wirefordcc <wire4dcc@...>

Kevin,

You have to post your attachments in the Files area. Yahoo doesn't allow attachments - probably an antivirus thing.

Thanks

Allan

--- In WiringForDCC@..., "Kevin" <hassey@...> wrote:

[...]

Doug Stuard <dstuard@...>

Try here===> http://www.loystoys.com/peco/about-electrofrog.html

(Particularly the section on modifications)

Doug Stuard

[...]

Jim Keating

All,
I have an issue with my Peco Electrofrog turnout with DCC.  It seems that I have may have failed to modify the turnout, and also have definitely failed to connect the frog to my tortoise switch machine for power routing prior to installation on the layout!  OUCH.  Modifying in place will be a pain but I can ultimately manage that :(
My question is, can I solder a wire to the frog and connect to the tortoise WITHOUT having to completely pull up the turnout and use the provided wire underneath?  Has anyone done this?
Currently, as the turnout is being thrown, I get a short.  Then, once the turnout has completed it's diversion, I can reset the short and visa versa.
Please advise.
Thanks, Jim

John Johnston <towboatjohnston@...>

It sounds like you failed to use insulated joiners on the two inside rails at the point end of the frog.  There is no substitute for doing that.  Once you install the insulated joiners, you may be able to get away without power-routing the frog until the electrical connection through the point rails becomes unreliable and locomotives start losing power as they go through the turnout.