Topics

Wiring For DCC Update Announcement

wirefordcc

I've made some updates to the Wiring For DCC website.  Here's the link to the What's New section:  http://wiringfordcc.com/wirefordcc_toc.htm#a1

Topics
include:

1.  Radio Shack has an isle at Hobby Town.
2.  George T. Galyon's HO Turnout Compendium.
3.  Using a command station in booster mode could result in runaway trains.
4.  Using circuit breakers and auto-reversers.

More on the way!  In the meantime, enjoy!

Allan Gartner
Wiring For DCC

Jerry Michels

Allan,  Thanks for updating "The DCC Bible!"  I truly enjoyed reading the new material. You efforts have made a huge difference in our ability to correctly wire the Amarillo Railroad Museum layout.

To the larger group, our layout invested a lot of our capital in Digitrax PM42 circuit breakers quite a few years back.  However, most seem to be of the opinion that DCCSpecialities PSX-ARFB, specifically equipped with block detection and network feedback as being superior to the PM42s.  Looking at all the data I can find, I have to agree.  But my concern is the price.  We have over 60 blocks on the layout, at the going price (approximately $60), this would take over $3,600.  I wonder if this sort of investment outweighs staying with the PM42s.

Thanks,

Jerry Michels
Amarillo Railroad Museum

wirefordcc

Hi Jerry,

Thank you for the kind words.  And thanks for helping justify the time I spend doing this!  Now that I am retired, I'm getting to spend more time on my website.  Right now, I'm reading Digitrax and NCE manuals to get caught up with the world.

BTW everybody, we've all heard about the new Peco Unifrog turnouts.  I hear they are not in code 83 yet.  When they are, someone drop me a line or post here on this forum if you find out before I do.  I'll buy one right away and will post my findings on my website like I've done for the other Pecos.

I have a PM42 and used it for a long time before I bought a PSX-AR.  I bought the PSX-AR because I found the trip and release points of the PM42 tricky to set.  I could never seem to have something that always worked with all my sound equipped locomotives.

I've never loved the edge card connector. You need to add in the cost of the connector when you are figuring on using a PM42.  If you don't want wires yanking on the edge card connector, I went and ran wires from the edge card connector to a terminal strip where my track bus wires tied in.  You don't have to do this, but if you do, figure in the cost and the time to do this.

That being said, if you are using PM42s and they are working well for you, by all means, keep using them!

Allan Gartner
Wiring For DCC

Dennis Cherry

The only one that seems available right now is the double slips.

https://www.amazon.com/Peco-SL-U8382-Double-Turnout-Unifrog/dp/B01EUACBJ8

Don Vollrath

I agree. If it works there is no reason to change.
DonV

redking56@...

The Peco Double Slip Unifrog is excellent. It is, indeed, "easy to use and install" (and wire).

I recently purchases four of them as part of my passenger station track complex.

Rich

Dennis Cherry

i think this might be a mistake in pricing here:

https://tonystrains.com/product/peco-sl-u8364-ho-code-83-with-unifrog-6-crossing/

A good buy .

Keith Elrod

Modeltrainstuff.com has it at $32.99 and Trainmastermodels.com (Buford, GA) has it at $23.37. I shop both these stores on a regular basis.

Keith

On Sep 28, 2018, at 8:22 AM, Dennis Cherry <dbcherry@...> wrote:

i think this might be a mistake in pricing here:

https://tonystrains.com/product/peco-sl-u8364-ho-code-83-with-unifrog-6-crossing/

A good buy .

Rob Powers

Awesome, and thanks.

Tom Stephens

This link is for a #6 crossing – not a double slip switch.
I would expect it to be cheaper.
Tom

redking56@...

Yes, the double slip will cost you over $80.

Rich

Kurt Konrath

A lot less if you build your own!

But much easier to buy one!

I hand lay most of my switches with Fast Track jigs.

Kurt