Topics

wiring for a large layout

Bob Macionis

I am rebuilding my large HO layout with the hope of improving my wiring. Any suggestions for making it as good as possible will be appreciated.
I am using NCE. My former layout, about the same size as the new one, had a command station and one booster, with bus runs of up to 100 feet. I plan to add two more boosters and keep bus runs under 40 feet. The layout will be completely double decked, and the mainline run will be over 500 feet long.
I plan to have booster 1 (B1) power sections B lower, B upper, and C upper; B2 power C lower and D lower; command station (CS)
power F & G lower and upper; B3 power E lower, D upper, and A lower & upper by running the wires up thru the ceiling, across the aisle and down to A. I could add a fourth booster to power just A lower & upper if needed; there will be only a few locomotives running there at any one time.
I plan on about 15 circuit breakers plus 6 autoreversing circuit breakers controlling the 6 reverse loops. I have PSX and PSX-AR breakers currently. I plan to use block watchers and BD-20’s for block detection as part of a custom signaling system.
I will keep the track power bus wires next to the back wall, and the throttle control bus at the front edge. I will have a cable carrying 12 volts running everywhere to work the signals. Will that cable cause interference if too close to either the control bus or the power bus? The wire from the wireless base station to the command station will be about 30 feet. Is that ok for good performance?
Do I run a ground wire from booster 1 to the command station to B2 to B3? The ground will be about 20 foot sections. Is 12 gauge appropriate? I plan on 12 gauge for the bus wire.
This is my chance to get all the wiring done the right way. I have read all of the Wiringfordcc website & have learned a lot, but I thank you for any and all suggestions.
Bob

Bob Macionis

  I see my little diagram of my layout has been removed.  Can anyone tell me how to send a diagram that will be printed?
Bob

dvollrath@...

Bob,

Sounds like you have the right idea. But 3 boosters feeding 15 circuit breakers + 6 A-R sections sounds like overkill unless you have many operators with poor operating habits. Using separate places to run DCC track power vs control signaling busses is smart. Be sure to use twisted pair for DCC distribution (16 Ga or larger)with R/C snubbers connected at each far end from each boosters. (NCE sells them) Run the booster common tie wire in parallel with the feeders but continue it on to the next booster. You can run your 12V signaling supply in parallel with the throttle bus and other signal wiring. Be sure to locate the BD20 (or other) occupancy detectors close to the sub-bus track sections to be detected. You would be smart to dedicate a booster to operating turnouts and/or other accessory items using DCC power and commands.

DonV

Bob Macionis

Thanks Don.   NCE folks advised me that for best operation I should not have much more than 10 locos operating in a booster district at one time.  That, with keeping bus runs to under 40 feet, means I need three boosters.   There are 250 feet of mainline track on each level, plus 100 feet of track that climbs from the lower to upper.
    There are 14 separate towns, with 10 to 30 feet between towns.  Each town will have its own circuit breaker that also covers the main to the next town.  There are 3 separate railroads that interchange.  For open houses, I want return loops at both ends (thus 6) so trains can run w/o an operator.
  All BOD’s will be located at the end their blocks closer to the booster.
  I am trying to try to minimize use of track power for anything other than powering trains. On my old layout, I used old power packs and other 12volt power sources to power tortoise machines, lights, turntables, etc. The auto reversers had Hares connected to the track for auto throw.  Most turnouts will be manually controlled.

Bob

dvollrath@...

You need to post it as a document/file in the file section. Please use a format that others can easily use. A pdf or word file rather than something from auto-cad or other specialty program. Take a look at some examples to see what others have posted.
DonV