Topics

Wiring for a accessory bus.

maymeral.gordons@...

Hello,

I’m new to this forum so please be gentle with me.

I am from the UK and I’m in the process of wiring a layout which would be considered modest by US standard. When complete, I expect to be running with about 70 Tortoise point motors operated by an appropriate number of Switch 8 decoders.

It seems that the general opinion is that I should power these via a dedicated accessory bus and I can appreciate the logic in this.

However, with electronics not being my number 1 subject, I am at a bit of a loss as to what I need and how it should be assembles.

My operating system will be a Power Cab used as a simple throttle with Smart Booster.

The layout will be split into 4 separate power districts.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Bob

Bill Wilken

While I did not use any decoders with my turnouts, my 30 or so turnouts are all powered by a small 5 volt transformer connected to a wiring terminal block.  It works very nicely.

On Oct 26, 2018, at 1:44 PM, maymeral.gordons via Groups.Io <maymeral.gordons@...> wrote:

Hello,

I’m new to this forum so please be gentle with me.

I am from the UK and I’m in the process of wiring a layout which would be considered modest by US standard. When complete, I expect to be running with about 70 Tortoise point motors operated by an appropriate number of Switch 8 decoders.

It seems that the general opinion is that I should power these via a dedicated accessory bus and I can appreciate the logic in this.

However, with electronics not being my number 1 subject, I am at a bit of a loss as to what I need and how it should be assembles.

My operating system will be a Power Cab used as a simple throttle with Smart Booster.

The layout will be split into 4 separate power districts.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Bob

Don Vollrath

Power all of the switch 8s directly from the booster output. That would constitute an accessory bus. Power each track power district through an appropriate circuit breaker.
DonV