Topics

Wiring Bi-color LED's

Tom Anderson

I am installing Tortoise machines on my layout and will start a panel using DPDT switches to change the turnout position. I would like to add bi-color led's (red/green) to the panel and power them using the contacts on the Tortoise. Could someone show me a simple way to wire these.

LED's have the following specifications:
Forward voltage (R/G): 2.0/2.2   Max: 2.5/2.6
Reverse voltage: 5.0
Peak forward current: 150mA
Steady Current: 25mA
Given that the Tortoise uses 12V, I am assuming that I need resistors to not damage the LED but I don't know what value or how many are needed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I have very little experience doing this.
Thanks!

Tom

Richard Gagnon

I put a two lead red/green 3mm, two lead LED in series with one tortoise lead. The tortoise draws almost 20 ma. at stall. Most LED’s are needed. No resistors needed.

Rich

On Saturday, October 13, 2018, 11:21 AM, Tom Anderson <tanderson@...> wrote:

I am installing Tortoise machines on my layout and will start a panel using DPDT switches to change the turnout position. I would like to add bi-color led's (red/green) to the panel and power them using the contacts on the Tortoise. Could someone show me a simple way to wire these.

Given that the Tortoise uses 12V, I am assuming that I need resistors to not damage the LED but I don't know what value or how many are needed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I have very little experience doing this.
Thanks!

Tom

Richard Gagnon

I measured with meters also just in case.

Rich

On Saturday, October 13, 2018, 4:11 PM, rg <richg_1998@...> wrote:

I put a two lead red/green 3mm, two lead LED in series with one tortoise lead. The tortoise draws almost 20 ma. at stall. Most LED’s are needed. No resistors needed.

Rich

Thanks!

Tom

Richard Gagnon

I meant most LED’s are 20 ma

On Saturday, October 13, 2018, 4:11 PM, rg <richg_1998@...> wrote:

Rich

Thanks!

Tom

Tom Anderson

Rich,

Isn’t a resistor needed to knock down the 12 volts given the LED’s show voltage of 2 – 2.5 V?

Am I missing something here?

Thanks!

Tom

Tom Anderson

Business Information Systems, Inc.

P.O. Box 160396

Boiling Springs, SC  29316

(864) 621-8607

From: w4dccqa@groups.io <w4dccqa@groups.io> On Behalf Of Richard Gagnon via Groups.Io
Sent: Saturday, October 13, 2018 4:11 PM
To: w4dccqa@groups.io
Subject: Re: [w4dccqa] Wiring Bi-color LED's

Rich

Thanks!

Tom

ExchangeDefender Message Security: Check Authenticity

Richard Gagnon

No. The tortoise does the  job. Like I said I did the measurements.

Rich

On Saturday, October 13, 2018, 4:26 PM, Tom Anderson <tanderson@...> wrote:

Rich,

Isn’t a resistor needed to knock down the 12 volts given the LED’s show voltage of 2 – 2.5 V?

Thanks!

Tom

bis_250x60

Tom Anderson

P.O. Box 160396

(864) 621-8607

From: w4dccqa@groups.io <w4dccqa@groups.io> On Behalf Of Richard Gagnon via Groups.Io

Rich

Thanks!

Tom

Richard Gagnon

I think the tortoise instructions might explain. The motor drops the voltage a lot. I did electronics for fifty years.

Rich 

On Saturday, October 13, 2018, 7:50 PM, Richard Gagnon via Groups.Io <richg_1998@...> wrote:

Rich

Rich,

Thanks!

Tom

bis_250x60

Tom Anderson

P.O. Box 160396

(864) 621-8607

Rich

Thanks!

Tom

Max Maginness

The tortoise motor acts like a resistor in this case with the (bicolor)  LED  in series with it.
The alterative of putting the LED in parallel with the tortoise motor would require a resistor.

Max

From: w4dccqa@groups.io <w4dccqa@groups.io> On Behalf Of Tom Anderson
Sent: Saturday, October 13, 2018 1:26 PM

Rich,

Isn’t a resistor needed to knock down the 12 volts given the LED’s show voltage of 2 – 25 V?

Thanks!

Tom

Tom Anderson

P.O. Box 160396

(864) 621-8607

Rich

Thanks!

Tom

Tom Anderson

Rich,

Thanks for the clarification. As I mentioned this new for me.

Tom

Tom Anderson

P.O. Box 160396

(864) 621-8607

Sent: Saturday, October 13, 2018 7:56 PM

I think the tortoise instructions might explain. The motor drops the voltage a lot. I did electronics for fifty years.

Rich 

On Saturday, October 13, 2018, 7:50 PM, Richard Gagnon via Groups.Io <richg_1998@...> wrote:

Rich

Rich,

Thanks!

Tom

Tom Anderson

P.O. Box 160396

(864) 621-8607

Rich

Thanks!

Tom

Rich Randall

Sounds good. However, are all Tortoise' exactly the same? To ensure my LEDs are not blown, I put 20mA current limiters in series. Just my way.

Rich Randall
Gettysburg, PA

Richard Gagnon

It sure makes sense they are all made the same way.
20 mm LED’s are all made the same way.

Rich

On Saturday, October 13, 2018, 9:12 PM, Rich Randall via Groups.Io <RRand4449@...> wrote:

Sounds good. However, are all Tortoise' exactly the same? To ensure my LEDs are not blown, I put 20mA current limiters in series. Just my way.

Rich Randall
Gettysburg, PA