Topics

Wiring Bi-color LED's

Tom Anderson

I am installing Tortoise machines on my layout and will start a panel using DPDT switches to change the turnout position. I would like to add bi-color led's (red/green) to the panel and power them using the contacts on the Tortoise. Could someone show me a simple way to wire these.

LED's have the following specifications:
Forward voltage (R/G): 2.0/2.2   Max: 2.5/2.6
Reverse voltage: 5.0
Peak forward current: 150mA
Steady Current: 25mA
Given that the Tortoise uses 12V, I am assuming that I need resistors to not damage the LED but I don't know what value or how many are needed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I have very little experience doing this.
Thanks!

Tom

Richard Gagnon

I put a two lead red/green 3mm, two lead LED in series with one tortoise lead. The tortoise draws almost 20 ma. at stall. Most LED’s are needed. No resistors needed.

Rich

On Saturday, October 13, 2018, 11:21 AM, Tom Anderson <tanderson@...> wrote:

I am installing Tortoise machines on my layout and will start a panel using DPDT switches to change the turnout position. I would like to add bi-color led's (red/green) to the panel and power them using the contacts on the Tortoise. Could someone show me a simple way to wire these.

LED's have the following specifications:
Forward voltage (R/G): 2.0/2.2   Max: 2.5/2.6
Reverse voltage: 5.0
Peak forward current: 150mA
Steady Current: 25mA
Given that the Tortoise uses 12V, I am assuming that I need resistors to not damage the LED but I don't know what value or how many are needed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I have very little experience doing this.
Thanks!

Tom

Richard Gagnon

I measured with meters also just in case.

Rich

On Saturday, October 13, 2018, 4:11 PM, rg <richg_1998@...> wrote:

[...]

I meant most LED’s are 20 ma

[...]

Rich,

          Isn’t a resistor needed to knock down the 12 volts given the LED’s show voltage of 2 – 2.5 V?

          Am I missing something here?

          Thanks!

Tom

Tom Anderson

Business Information Systems, Inc.

P.O. Box 160396

Boiling Springs, SC  29316

(864) 621-8607

[...]

No. The tortoise does the  job. Like I said I did the measurements.

Rich

On Saturday, October 13, 2018, 4:26 PM, Tom Anderson <tanderson@...> wrote:

Rich,

          Isn’t a resistor needed to knock down the 12 volts given the LED’s show voltage of 2 – 2.5 V?

          Am I missing something here?

          Thanks!

Tom

bis_250x60

[...]

I think the tortoise instructions might explain. The motor drops the voltage a lot. I did electronics for fifty years.

Rich

On Saturday, October 13, 2018, 7:50 PM, Richard Gagnon via Groups.Io <richg_1998@...> wrote:

[...]

Max Maginness

The tortoise motor acts like a resistor in this case with the (bicolor)  LED  in series with it.
The alterative of putting the LED in parallel with the tortoise motor would require a resistor.

Max

[...]

          Thanks for the clarification. As I mentioned this new for me.

[...]

Rich Randall

Sounds good. However, are all Tortoise' exactly the same? To ensure my LEDs are not blown, I put 20mA current limiters in series. Just my way.

Rich Randall
Gettysburg, PA

Richard Gagnon

It sure makes sense they are all made the same way.
20 mm LED’s are all made the same way.

Rich