Topics

Wiring a DCC layout

Lead_horse@...

Hi I am new too this group and was hoping someone could tell me how to wire up the layout shown in the attachments please. I am completely new too model railways and DCC and also a complete novice with electrical (I know not the best combination). I will be using peco setrack 100 (am I correct in thinking in that I will only have a choice of insulfrogs), all my points and the turntable will be under manual control and the layout will be on a 9ft x 4ft baseboard controlled by a gaugemaster prodigy advance2.
Thank you for any help anyone can provide it will be whole heartedly appreciated.
Paul

digitaldanm@...

Paul,

Did you intend to attach a file? I'm in a similar situation to you (total newbie) and would love to see your layout and hear folks' responses.

Dan

David McBrayer

re attaching a File or a Picture.
Groups.io tends to prune those off of posts, the better way would be to log into the main site, create a folder using your name in the respective tab and then upload the image or file.  When you have uploaded the content, copy the URL for the content and paste that I into your posting.  That done, a reader need only click on the link to see your content.  It would be easier to refer back to from a new referral.

Dave McBrayer
Castro Valley, CA

On Feb 27, 2019, at 08:25, digitaldanm@... wrote:

Paul,

Did you intend to attach a file? I'm in a similar situation to you (total newbie) and would love to see your layout and hear folks' responses.

Dan

Paul Cole <Lead_horse@...>

Thank you Dave I had no idea. I have tried going too the "files" tab on the left of this page and in it when I put my cursor over the new folder button it turns too a no entry sign and won't let me click it so I'm not sure what to do.

digitaldanm@...

Dave, when you mentioned "log into the main site" are you referring to Groups.io or to some other site? Sorry for the newbie question.

Dan

vincent marino

My brother I'm fairly new myself however I'm a year plus into it. I never heard of the components you're using so I'm keeping my comments to the basics. First design your layout with power districts that will help you isolate the future shorts. I isolated the main lines, turnouts, yards, turntable, etc. Secondly, use 14awg wire for power district buses, 18awg wire for track wire drops to the bus and connect every piece of track to the bus. Soldier or make sure each track joiner is flawless. Most problems result from that connection. Finally once the layout track is connected and the electric voltage is constant throughout, your next challenge is to make sure the locomotives and rolling stock run smoothly forward and backwards.  I wouldn't permanently attach track until your happy with the operation. Once you're at that stage you can advance into JMRI. At that point tweaking your locos to speed matching will bring your operation to another level of pleasure, because trains will rarely derail except for the human error of course. Hope I helped you. Don't be discouraged and make YouTube your friend.

On Wed, Feb 27, 2019, 5:38 AM Paul Cole <Lead_horse@...> wrote:
Hi I am new too this group and was hoping someone could tell me how to wire up the layout shown in the attachments please. I am completely new too model railways and DCC and also a complete novice with electrical (I know not the best combination). I will be using peco setrack 100 (am I correct in thinking in that I will only have a choice of insulfrogs), all my points and the turntable will be under manual control and the layout will be on a 9ft x 4ft baseboard controlled by a gaugemaster prodigy advance2.
Thank you for any help anyone can provide it will be whole heartedly appreciated.
Paul

Alex Hempel

Edited

Yes, Peco Setrack will only give you insulfrog turnouts. It shouldn't be too much of a problem. You can probably mix in Streamline Code 100 Electrofrogs if you really want to, but that may make your track plan a bit more complex, as they have different lengths and radii.

When you say the turnouts and turntable will be under manual control, does that mean you won't electrify them at all, or that you'll control them using standard pushbuttons and not DCC?

David McBrayer

Dan,
I meant the location of this discussion group, ‘w4dccqa@groups.io’

It turns out the pictures tab in the left column. does NOT have a ‘create new folder’ button.  However, the Files tab in the left column Does have a create new folder and an Upload File button.  Create a new folder under the Files tab using suitably descriptive terms or your name.  Review the names used for the other folders for ideas.  Once you have decided on a folder name click the Create Folder button and follow the prompts.  Upon completion, click the upload File button and follow the prompts.  Pictures have been uploaded under the Files Tab.  “*.JPG” filetypes seem to be the most common image filetype used.  Having done this once, you will appreciate its simplicity.

—Dave McBrayer

On Feb 27, 2019, at 17:21, digitaldanm@... wrote:

Dave, when you mentioned "log into the main site" are you referring to Groups.io or to some other site? Sorry for the newbie question.

Dan

David McBrayer

A problem under the Files and Photos tab in the left column.  What I thought was an active blue button is not blue enough to be functional.  The other groups I participate in at this domain allow user created folders and photo albums.

My question for the administrators: What is the ACTUAL procedure for a User/Member to create a new File Folder as a means of demonstrating a challenge or concept?  Does the creation and/or upload have to be performed or authorized by an Administrator?  Under the Help icon in the group header there is no content re adding Files or Photos.  It merely shows the tabs.

—Dave McBrayer

On Feb 27, 2019, at 23:00, David McBrayer <d_mcbrayer@...> wrote:

[...]

Thank you. Yeah turnouts and turntable will be controlled old fashioned way, by my hand moving them
Yes, Peco Setrack will only give you insulfrog turnouts. It shouldn't be too much of a problem. You can probably mix in Streamline Code 100 Electrofrogs if you really want to, but that may make your track plan a bit more complex, as they have different lengths and radii.

When you say the turnouts and turntable will be under manual control, does that mean you won't electrify them at all, or that you'll control them using standard pushbuttons and not DCC?

Paul Cole <Lead_horse@...>

Hi thank you so much that's extremely helpful, yep definitely making good use of Youtube at the moment
[...]

Al Silverstein

w4dccqa Members

The files and photos sections were locked.

These features have been unlocked.

Al Silverstein
Moderator

[...]

Hi now that the add folder button has been unlocked I have now added a folder called "Paul's Layout Plan" with a pdf of my layout in. Please if anyone has any ideas on how I wire this layout up please any help would be so appreciated.

https://groups.io/g/w4dccqa/files/Paul%27s%20layout%20plan