Walthers Motorized 130ft Turntable - DCC Wiring

doylep@...

Hi

Has anybody used this turntable with DCC?  If yes, have you looked at modifying the turntable so that turntable bridge does not lose power and therefore turns off your sound equipped locos?  I expect that this should be possible and that you would need to use an auto-reverser to ensure that you don’t have short circuits.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Regards

Peter Doyle

e: doylep@...

Australia

wirefordcc

Hi Peter,

I have the original Walthers 130 ft turntable and have a new, current version one on it’s way to me now.

I’m expecting that the turntable may interrupt the power to the bridge as it rotates for a second.  If you have keep alive circuits in your loco, that should solve the problem.  I don’t think modifying the turntable to not interrupt the power is possible.  I’ll look at it after it arrives and I get it installed.  It might be a couple of weeks before I get it and get it installed.

Allan Gartner

Wiring for DCC.

Has anybody used this turntable with DCC?  If yes, have you looked at modifying the turntable so that turntable bridge does not lose power and therefore turns off your sound equipped locos?  I expect that this should be possible and that you would need to use an auto-reverser to ensure that you don’t have short circuits.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Regards

Peter Doyle

e: doylep@...

Australia

Steve Hubbard

Turntable PC board could possibly be reconfigured and a reverser be used to change polarity.  I did a similar thing on my Bowser Turntable.  Made the center post one conductor with a brass wiper drum and the split rail the other conductor. I also used an NCE decoder (no indexing) to control the motor.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Has anybody used this turntable with DCC?  If yes, have you looked at modifying the turntable so that turntable bridge does not lose power and therefore turns off your sound equipped locos?  I expect that this should be possible and that you would need to use an auto-reverser to ensure that you don’t have short circuits.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Regards

Peter Doyle

e: doylep@...

Australia

David Klemm

The turntable only loses power at the zero spot for a brief bit. It serves a purpose. If your locos have keep alives they will not lose sound for the brief moment.

David Klemm
12 PRO

[...]

The Walthers turntable has a split ring at it’s center.  It doesn’t have a center post and a rim rail that you can power it from.  Unless I see something different when I get my new one, this is what I expect will be the case.  Locos with keep alive / current keepers are likely to be your best choice.

Walthers has a “Advanced Control Module” that you can control your turntable with DCC.  I have one of those coming, too.  I plan to write a column on it for Model Railroader this year.

Allan Gartner

Wiring for DCC

[...]

As I recall the turntable has 4 brass wipers that run on the PC board. 2 for the bridge motor/electronics  and 2 for the

Track.  I do not have one anymore to confirm if the foils could be redone to make them the same polarity all the way around .

[...]

Jay

I don't know about the HO version.
The N Scale one has 6 wipers under the turntable.
I know 2 are for power to the track & 2 are for control.
The other might for alignment.
The pit does have a split for direction.
I set it for the split on my Roundhouse on my layout.

Jay

Steve Hubbard

You may be right and it does have 6 wipers and I’m old and don’t remember lol

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

The N Scale one has 6 wipers under the turntable.
I know 2 are for power to the track & 2 are for control.
The other might for alignment.
The pit does have a split for direction.
I set it for the split on my Roundhouse on my layout.

Jay

Dale Muir

Yes, I converted my 90 Ft. turntable to DCC after the control system failed. There is now no indexing, just like real. You only need two wires from below to the turntable bridge. Pick any two contact rings, and wire them to track power. Install a simple decoder in the turntable bridge to power the motor. Track power Add an auto reverse unit between the track power bus and the turntable. The turntable track is simply powered from track power. Use your DCC throttle to turn the turntable. The AR unit will take care of the polarity as needed by the TT position as you run an engine between across the gap from the circle tracks to the TT bridge. The decoder doesn’t care about the polarity.

This worked for a while, but the Walthers TT mechanism is pretty bad, IMO. I eventually scratch build a 100 ft TT and followed the same idea.

Dale Muir

Geneva, IL

Has anybody used this turntable with DCC?  If yes, have you looked at modifying the turntable so that turntable bridge does not lose power and therefore turns off your sound equipped locos?  I expect that this should be possible and that you would need to use an auto-reverser to ensure that you don’t have short circuits.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Regards

Peter Doyle

e: doylep@...

Australia

monty cunningham

I have Walthers 90 ft. turntable.  It has wipers to pick up current for the track.  I used one of those little boards that will switch the direction of the current (in about a nano second) to prevent a short.  I used a non sound decoder (from a Bachmann 2-8-0 that I upgraded to sound) to power the turntable motor.  I just assign a number, just like it were a locomotive, to the turntable.
There is no indexing so you have to be close to the turntable to visually align the turntable.  This way everything (turntable track and turntable motor) is wired directly to the track bus.  For me it works just fine.
Monty

Steve Hubbard

Yeah I agree that the Walthers leaves a little bit to be desired as far as operation go's!  At least the one I had.  Apparently it was an earlier version and the indexing simply sucked.  I picked up this new in the box 130" TT at an estate sale for a 100 bucks and I was ecstatic, well up until I could not get it to repeat.  I had already installed the Bower and was willing to start over with the Walther's , too bad it did not work well !

David Buuck

I agree with you on that with the Walthers turntable programing it sucks their instructions are so vague

On Sunday, January 31, 2021, 01:38:41 p.m. EST, Steve Hubbard via groups.io <cyclefab@...> wrote:

Yeah I agree that the Walthers leaves a little bit to be desired as far as operation go's!  At least the one I had.  Apparently it was an earlier version and the indexing simply sucked.  I picked up this new in the box 130" TT at an estate sale for a 100 bucks and I was ecstatic, well up until I could not get it to repeat.  I had already installed the Bower and was willing to start over with the Walther's , too bad it did not work well !

john

I found that the problem with both the new and the old Walthers Turn Table is not the programming or the operation. It actually works if you follow the instructions, Unfortunately it is slow and users are impatient, they want fast. The real problem is the programming button being on the face of the controller. Push that button and the turntable moves pretty quick in which ever direction you choose, happy operator. Unfortunately your Turn Table is un-programmed and re-programmed. every time you push the button. It is tedious to re-program.

On Sunday, January 31, 2021, 03:04:07 PM EST, David Buuck via groups.io <dbuuckie@...> wrote:

I agree with you on that with the Walthers turntable programing it sucks their instructions are so vague

On Sunday, January 31, 2021, 01:38:41 p.m. EST, Steve Hubbard via groups.io <cyclefab@...> wrote:

Yeah I agree that the Walthers leaves a little bit to be desired as far as operation go's!  At least the one I had.  Apparently it was an earlier version and the indexing simply sucked.  I picked up this new in the box 130" TT at an estate sale for a 100 bucks and I was ecstatic, well up until I could not get it to repeat.  I had already installed the Bower and was willing to start over with the Walther's , too bad it did not work well !

Steve Hubbard

Hmmm! I did follow the instructions.  There is a reason Walther's revised the old model to the newer version.  My understanding is because of the repeatability or lack there of.  Please clarify.

Lee Phillips

I have a huge collection of ALL NEW HO engines, track, tunnels, cars, etc.
If anyone is interested, please let me know.
I can send pics of all.
Thanks,
Lee