Topics

Using PECO code 75. 3-way turnouts

Bruce McDonald <bigmacduck53@...>

Just joined so excuse me if I transgress on old ground or in a wrong forum.
My enquiry involves using PECO code 75 track/ points, TORTISE motors , DPDT  3 position ( on-on-on)  toggle switches and LED panel lights.
Specifically seeking simplified wiring diagram showing how to wire this combination.
Track control will be DCC, but turnout control will be via DPDT 3 position (on-on-on ) toggle switches with LED indication ( either single or bi colour) on control panel.
Regards.
Bruce McDonald.

On 30 Apr 2020, at 1:53 am, PennsyNut <pennsynut@...> wrote:

Since I'm such a hard headed old guy. I want to have a pt on the layout. Use a siding. Connect the pt to the end of the siding. I'm using PECO Insulfrog turnouts, so that it can be thrown to isolate the siding. i.e. Throw turnout for main and the siding is dead. Then, turn on JMRI&SPROG etc. on the siding alone. Obviously, that isn't a great idea. It's too easy to throw the turnout while JMRI is connected. So, could I cut both rails, wire a simple DPDT center off toggle. Like online at "the" web site. But, keeping it simple, wire a bulb that lights when the pt is live. So that if the bulb is lit, DO NOT RUN A LOCO ON IT. And if it's off, you can use the siding as a regular one, no programming allowed. I wish I could draw this. But I'm only trying to keep this as simple as possible without endangering the DCSS50 or the SPROG. This is a simple layout. Only one power district/DCS50. And only run one or two locos at a time. And just don't have room for a separate laptop/pt.  Morgan Bilbo, barely one year with simple DCC

Nick Ostrosky

I have three of these on my layout and I like to think of them as just two turnouts crammed together, the same as having a left turnout follow a right.  They are wired as you would any turnout.  Is your question really about how to throw any path from a single DPDT switch, with a single set of route lights (Left, right, straight), as opposed to having a DPDT switch for each set of points with its own route light?

Carl

Hello:

Jim has three 3-way turnouts in his Yard. When we put slow motion motors on these turnouts ( DC driven ) we drove them with relay board with 6 relays. ( 12volt 4PDT ) The control modules are a single single poll center off: on/off/on toggle with three LEDs to indicate direction mounted in a 1" hole plug. So in the center toggle position the relay contacts drive the motors for the center route, and the yellow LED is lit. The power routing is driven by the micro switches on the motors. With the toggle either way it drives that motor to the side route and the appropriate red or green LED lights. This has worked well for years. PICO code 100 turnouts with the toggle springs removed so they don't "snap".

Carl.

On 4/30/2020 6:15 AM, Nick Ostrosky wrote:

I have three of these on my layout and I like to think of them as just two turnouts crammed together, the same as having a left turnout follow a right.  They are wired as you would any turnout.  Is your question really about how to throw any path from a single DPDT switch, with a single set of route lights (Left, right, straight), as opposed to having a DPDT switch for each set of points with its own route light?

Bruce McDonald <bigmacduck53@...>

Thanks for your prompt response.
Initially was looking at 2 separate DPDT (in-on) switches each with their own Bi colour LED’s. However as difficult using this approach with dual LED’s for the centre track; I have now opted to use a single DPDT ( on-on-on) toggle switch with a single LED for the chosen track. If this makes sense.
Bruce