Turnout Wiring - Manual Ground Throw

rreitz@...

I was reading this interesting option for making a powered frog switch which looked like something I would like to do for my small n-scale switching layout: Turnout Wiring section - RECOMMENDATION #2-22:  Manual Ground Throws: Power Routing Your Frogs. The description in that section references a microswitch from www.mouser.com #540-DB3C-B1LB and states that it is a 1A microswitch.  However the Mouser website states that the current rating is 100 mA.  Would this be sufficient for power routing a frog in a DCC setup?  Thank you.

wirefordcc

Good catch!  I don’t have any N-scale locomotives to test.  100mA might be enough.  If you go this route, go with the switch from Digikey, just to be safe.  I’ll change the website.

But you have a bigger problem that probably can’t be solved with using a micro switch.  The problem is that an N-scale turnout probably doesn’t have enough throw to flip the micro switch.  We had a devil of a time getting it to work in HO.

I stopped using micro switches once I discovered Frog Juicers by Tam Valley Depot.  They cost more than a micro switch, but you don’t have to fabricate any mounts and fidget with them to get them aligned and working.  Just take 5 minutes to wire up a Frog Juicer and you are off and running.   I have over 60 of them in my new layout.

Allan Gartner
Wiring for DCC

rreitz@...

Yes - I can appreciate the additional challenges going to n-scale.  However I'm a tinkerer by nature and take this as a challenge.  Also when considering all the add-ons necessary to get one switch installed and working you could be anywhere from $60 - $80 per unit (maybe more).  I'll have over 30 of them in  my small n-scale experiment I am working on - that could be over $2000 just in turnouts. I'm scratch building them all with code 40 rail and wood ties.  I was more interested in the microswitch as a starting point and designing a different throw mechanism.  I enjoy your enthusiasm!

Richard Reitz