Topics

Turnout power pros and cons

General

I am looking for opinions about live vs power routed turnouts.  I have a number of N scale Kato turnouts and am trying to decide which is best for my operation.  I like that the Kato's can be traversed opposite from their thrown position but block control would be easier if they are power routed.  So all comments, criticisms and anything else will be welcomed.

Allan.

whmvd

Hi Allan,

Fine for DC layouts, and very useful, even. I don't think it has many merits on DCC, though, where simply not moving a train is already possible. Cutting the power to a loco with a DCC decoder means no light, no sound. Unlessyouhave a big keep-alive in it, which makes the whole power routing a complete disaster, because it'll only work to make you lose control.

Wouter