Topics

turnout machines

ted tyson

since the dcc power doesnt contact my atlas coil "snap "remote machines, can i still use these safely?   with dc power of course?

wirefordcc

Hi Ted,

Yes, you can still use your Atlas snap switch machines.  Normally, these were powered off the Accessory output of a power pack which was AC.

If you wanted to, there are some DCC turnout controllers that can drive Atlas snap switch machines.  These provide a pulse.  If you want to do this, make sure you pick one that is designed for twin-coil switch machines like the Atlas snap switch machines.

Allan Gartner
Wiring For DCC

ted tyson

can you tell me who makes (or where i can get) those machines...and thank you!
Ted

On Fri, Mar 27, 2020 at 11:34 AM wirefordcc <bigboy@...> wrote:
Hi Ted,

Yes, you can still use your Atlas snap switch machines.  Normally, these were powered off the Accessory output of a power pack which was AC.

If you wanted to, there are some DCC turnout controllers that can drive Atlas snap switch machines.  These provide a pulse.  If you want to do this, make sure you pick one that is designed for twin-coil switch machines like the Atlas snap switch machines.

Allan Gartner
Wiring For DCC

wirefordcc

Hi Ted,

You asked about the machines, but I assume you have switch machines already.  Do you mean to be asking about the devices that can control snap action switch machines?  Check with the manufacturer of your DCC system.  Look for "accessory decoders" or "stationary decoders".  NCE makes units for their system.  It is called the Qsnap-Mk2.  Digitrax calls their product the DS52.

Allan Gartner
Wiring For DCC

mgj21932

Ted Tyson,

Tam Valley (tamvalleydepots.com) also has a line of switch machines, servos, controllers, etc. you might consider.  What I find particularly attractive are (1) they have a fully compatible set of wires that facilitate connecting all the elements together; and (2) they have fascia buttons pre-wired with colored LEDs to indicate switch direction.  Easily mounted on a schematic of you layout.

Duncan McRee can be very helpful.  dmcree@...

Just another option.

Bill D

On Friday, March 27, 2020, 07:23:00 PM EDT, ted tyson <ttyson55@...> wrote:

can you tell me who makes (or where i can get) those machines...and thank you!
Ted

On Fri, Mar 27, 2020 at 11:34 AM wirefordcc <bigboy@...> wrote:
Hi Ted,

Yes, you can still use your Atlas snap switch machines.  Normally, these were powered off the Accessory output of a power pack which was AC.

If you wanted to, there are some DCC turnout controllers that can drive Atlas snap switch machines.  These provide a pulse.  If you want to do this, make sure you pick one that is designed for twin-coil switch machines like the Atlas snap switch machines.

Allan Gartner
Wiring For DCC

ted tyson

ok thx guys