Topics

testing soldering iron tip for voltage

Greg Smith

I have a Weller WES51 soldering station that is supposed to be suitable for electronics work.  Three prong plug.
I have been using it for several years but would like to check to see if there is voltage across the tip before I start installing decoders.  I know I have seen this somewhere, but just can't recall where.
Thank you
Greg

Mark Gurries

Professional Soldering Iron used for professional electronics work will have a Earth Ground connection.  The Tip will be earth grounded for ESD reasons.   The voltage will be zero at the tip.   You will not have any problem with the soldering iron working on your decoders.

Regardless of what soldering iron you have, you should NEVER solder to a decoder that is powered by or connected to a DCC system.   You should take the engine off the test track if it on a test track or disconnect any test leads that go to the DCC system.

On Nov 3, 2019, at 5:10 PM, Greg Smith <gcscls@...> wrote:

I have a Weller WES51 soldering station that is supposed to be suitable for electronics work.  Three prong plug.
I have been using it for several years but would like to check to see if there is voltage across the tip before I start installing decoders.  I know I have seen this somewhere, but just can't recall where.
Thank you
Greg

Best Regards,

Mark Gurries
Electrical Engineer

Greg Smith

Thank you, Mark
I was aware that you should never solder decoders that are connected to the DCC system or under power.  All soldering work is done in my shop.  Far away from the layout to prevent brain lapses:)