Switch 8 MK2 and Button Board

Tom Grassi

Hello All,

Been having a problem setting up an NCE Switch 8 MK2 using a Button Board.

I have two SWITCH 8 MK2  both have a button board connected.  One works great push the button the track switches use the power cab and the track switches.  That Switch 8 MK2 happens to be an older version than my second one.
Both were purchased with the last six months.  The new version has an additional terminal with three screws for a relay board .  My original Switch 8 MK2 does not have this. NCE support claims that there is no software difference between the two I found that hard to believe since there is a physical difference in the board.

Both boards are wired the same and are connected to the same buss line

I have 4 buss lines on my layout each are a district which I use NCE EB1

Switches are controlled by Tortoise machines are and located in all 4 districts.

I watched several videos on how to hook this up and they all have different ways.

I am using DCC only on them and not sure why the one works and the other does not work.

Any one out there have any suggestions.

Thank you

Tom

--
Tom Grassi
trgrassijr@...

wirefordcc

Hi Tom,

I noticed the extra set of contacts on the Switch8-MkII.  I had initially wired it up wrong when using the Button Board.  Once I realized my mistake, I was fine.  Here is what I wrote about it on my website:

http://www.wiringfordcc.com/first_look_NCE.htm#a3

Allan Gartner
Wiring for DCC

Tom Grassi

Alan,

thanks for the reply.

Yes I know about the extra terminals on the newer version of the Switch 8 MK2

I have had 3 Switch 8 MK2 already and not one of them worked with the button board.  As I said in my first posting the old style switch 8 mk2 works great with button board.

I have been working with Larry the DCCguy  and he has his switch 8 mk2 working fine with just using DC power  but he did say he received a bad batch of Switch 8 MK2 that did not not work.

I am sending my Switch 8 MK2 and Button Board to NCE with the wire I used and button see if they can get it to work.

I have one more Switch 8 MK2 I will place on the layout to be able to switch the tortoise motors using my power cab.   I have the NCE USB board on order so I can connect with my Laptop soon.

I like to push buttons they are nearby and makes it easier than going thru the levels on the power cab I know once the assy is select I can double click on it to toggle the switch.  but when you have many switches the panel board is easier
With that said I need the Switch 8 MK2 new version to work with the ButtonBoard

Thanks
Tom

--
Tom Grassi