Sidings and Storage Tracks on a control panel

seameadow17

Hello Everyone,
I would like to have an on off switch on my control panel for my storage tracks.  Is there a way I can have green LED on for power and red LED showing track is not powered.  With many sound equipped locomotives I don't want all of them situated on the sidings to add sound.  My passenger station will have 11 tracks and I would like to isolate tracks and see the status on a control panel.
Thank You
Jim

PAUL BUCKLEY

Use a DPDT switch, one side powering the siding and the other selecting the proper LED.

Paul Buckley

Charles Brumbelow

Single pole double throw switch would do the trick. One direction would feed the track and the green LED. Other direction would feed only the red LED. I would probably use toggle switches but slide switches would work. Charles

On Nov 15, 2021, at 8:04 AM, seameadow17 <jgviolante@...> wrote:

Hello Everyone,
I would like to have an on off switch on my control panel for my storage tracks.  Is there a way I can have green LED on for power and red LED showing track is not powered.  With many sound equipped locomotives I don't want all of them situated on the sidings to add sound.  My passenger station will have 11 tracks and I would like to isolate tracks and see the status on a control panel.
Thank You
Jim

David McBrayer

Jim,
An easily available 4-pole double-throw toggle switch could accomplish what you want. Two poles would be used to switch DCC to both tracks; the third pole to select the respective track status LED, with the fourth pole unused. Don’t forget the current limiting resistors for the LED’s.

4-pole double-throw toggle switches are available two sizes; compact and full-size. Depending on what is available to you either size will work. They are available from on-line (Allied, Newark, Digi-Key, All Electronics, etc.) and walk-in (remember these?) dealers in discrete electronic components.

—Dave McBrayer
Auburn, CA

--
Dave McBrayer
Auburn, CA

Allan AE2V

Hi Jim,

You have received two answers as a way to indicate that your track power is off to the locomotives.  Either will work.  Do you understand what you need to do?  Or do you need more detail?  We can provide you with more detail if you need it.

You might also consider not using lights at all if you have locomotives that make sounds and light up when they are on a DCC powered track.  With all those lights and sounds, do you really need a green or red LED?  If you still want those LEDs, go for it!

Allan Gartner

Wiring for DCC

Glenn

A simple on off (SPST) switch will also work. Install the switch in an up/down position. Up would indicate the track is powered, etc.

This will eliminate a lot of extra wiring.

Also I would use toggle switches as thew would be simple to install, Ie single drilled hole. They also come with illumination.

Glenn

PennsyNut

I tend to agree with K.I.S.S. Just a simple SPST mounted with the "powered" position up. Keep them all down/unpowered until you need that track powered. And like it was also said. You can tell immediately if a loco is powered if it's sound. (Heck, even with no sound, if the headlight is lit.)
Morgan Bilbo, DCC since 8/18. Model PRR 1952.

Blair

Glenn, PennsyNut

Just how will an SPST actually provide the functionality the OP requested?  I'm curious.

"Is there a way I can have green LED on for power and red LED showing track is not powered. "

Now, I would agree, the red LED is likely superfluous, but perhaps he has a situation where he would like "proof positive" that the switch is in the right position, despite not being visible; such might occur if the programming track, etc. were not readily available from all locations on his layout.

Blair