Topics

Reversing Sections.

Carl
 

Hi:

I would make a diagram of the track connections and search for the minimum of reversing sections.

On Jim's layout he designed it as a folded and twisted DogBone and planned the reversing loops based on the DogBone route not requiring any. This resulted in three connections that had to be reversing blocks. When I looked at it as either clockwise or counter clockwise around the room there were only two reversing blocks. If you were depending on buying auto-reversers this would be a 33% savings.

Carl.

On 1/26/2020 10:04 PM, Steve Haas wrote:

>>>> I am a little curious why so many reversing sections – are you sure they all are actually that? <<<<

 

I have the same curiosity too, Max.  I’ve DL’d the track plan but have not had the time to properly analyze it to see what is really needed in terms of reversing sections and reversers.  Sometimes the track that creates the need for a reverser is not the track where the reverser should be used.

 

Best regards,

 

Steve

 

 

Steve Haas

Snoqualmie, WA

mgj21932
 

Yup.  Should have been able to save $$.  But had already bought reversing circuitry.  Now have an unused Tam Valley Hex juicer.  Anyone need one?  LOL!   
Novice mistake, but better to catch now than later.  And very much appreciate help and advice from this group.  
Bill D. 


On Jan 26, 2020, at 10:17 PM, Carl <carl.blum@...> wrote:



Hi:

I would make a diagram of the track connections and search for the minimum of reversing sections.

On Jim's layout he designed it as a folded and twisted DogBone and planned the reversing loops based on the DogBone route not requiring any. This resulted in three connections that had to be reversing blocks. When I looked at it as either clockwise or counter clockwise around the room there were only two reversing blocks. If you were depending on buying auto-reversers this would be a 33% savings.

Carl.

On 1/26/2020 10:04 PM, Steve Haas wrote:

>>>> I am a little curious why so many reversing sections – are you sure they all are actually that? <<<<

 

I have the same curiosity too, Max.  I’ve DL’d the track plan but have not had the time to properly analyze it to see what is really needed in terms of reversing sections and reversers.  Sometimes the track that creates the need for a reverser is not the track where the reverser should be used.

 

Best regards,

 

Steve

 

 

Steve Haas

Snoqualmie, WA

Don Vollrath
 

I said that earlier Carl. Draw it out A figure eight plus sides to form an outside continuous loop is the same as a folded dog bone ... with main lines expanded in the area of the crossover. Only two AR sections. One at each end of the continuous loop Everything in the middle can be / is constant polarity.
DonV

whmvd
 

Bill,

Before you get rid of it, there is another consideration. Reducing the number of AR sections often involves making the newly chosen ones larger, or designing them so that entire stations or yards find themselves in one. That is in itself fine and can be crafty, but: keep in  mind that auto-reversers have a current limit that is usually considerably lower than what the regular track power is able to deliver.

Initial AR determination usually aims at smaller sections of single track, and that as a matter of course keeps the current draw in the section smallish. Re-thinks often cause individual AR sections to have to handle more than one train. so if you find the new design does that, have a careful look at the maximum power you expect to draw - and whether the AR can actually provide that.

Wouter


On Mon, 27 Jan 2020 at 04:13, mgj21932 via Groups.Io <mgj21932=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Yup.  Should have been able to save $$.  But had already bought reversing circuitry.  Now have an unused Tam Valley Hex juicer.  Anyone need one?  LOL!   
Novice mistake, but better to catch now than later.  And very much appreciate help and advice from this group.  
Bill D. 


On Jan 26, 2020, at 10:17 PM, Carl <carl.blum@...> wrote:



Hi:

I would make a diagram of the track connections and search for the minimum of reversing sections.

On Jim's layout he designed it as a folded and twisted DogBone and planned the reversing loops based on the DogBone route not requiring any. This resulted in three connections that had to be reversing blocks. When I looked at it as either clockwise or counter clockwise around the room there were only two reversing blocks. If you were depending on buying auto-reversers this would be a 33% savings.

Carl.

On 1/26/2020 10:04 PM, Steve Haas wrote:

>>>> I am a little curious why so many reversing sections – are you sure they all are actually that? <<<<

 

I have the same curiosity too, Max.  I’ve DL’d the track plan but have not had the time to properly analyze it to see what is really needed in terms of reversing sections and reversers.  Sometimes the track that creates the need for a reverser is not the track where the reverser should be used.

 

Best regards,

 

Steve

 

 

Steve Haas

Snoqualmie, WA

mgj21932
 

Excellent point.  And, yes, at least one of my new AR segments is now substantially larger and likely would have two trains on it.
 Hex Juicer will supply 1.7 amps to track.  I believe that ought to be sufficient for two efficient DCC Locos in one segment.  Will put track feeders at regular intervals.  
Bill


On Jan 27, 2020, at 8:49 AM, whmvd <vandoornw@...> wrote:


Bill,

Before you get rid of it, there is another consideration. Reducing the number of AR sections often involves making the newly chosen ones larger, or designing them so that entire stations or yards find themselves in one. That is in itself fine and can be crafty, but: keep in  mind that auto-reversers have a current limit that is usually considerably lower than what the regular track power is able to deliver.

Initial AR determination usually aims at smaller sections of single track, and that as a matter of course keeps the current draw in the section smallish. Re-thinks often cause individual AR sections to have to handle more than one train. so if you find the new design does that, have a careful look at the maximum power you expect to draw - and whether the AR can actually provide that.

Wouter

On Mon, 27 Jan 2020 at 04:13, mgj21932 via Groups.Io <mgj21932=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Yup.  Should have been able to save $$.  But had already bought reversing circuitry.  Now have an unused Tam Valley Hex juicer.  Anyone need one?  LOL!   
Novice mistake, but better to catch now than later.  And very much appreciate help and advice from this group.  
Bill D. 


On Jan 26, 2020, at 10:17 PM, Carl <carl.blum@...> wrote:



Hi:

I would make a diagram of the track connections and search for the minimum of reversing sections.

On Jim's layout he designed it as a folded and twisted DogBone and planned the reversing loops based on the DogBone route not requiring any. This resulted in three connections that had to be reversing blocks. When I looked at it as either clockwise or counter clockwise around the room there were only two reversing blocks. If you were depending on buying auto-reversers this would be a 33% savings.

Carl.

On 1/26/2020 10:04 PM, Steve Haas wrote:

>>>> I am a little curious why so many reversing sections – are you sure they all are actually that? <<<<

 

I have the same curiosity too, Max.  I’ve DL’d the track plan but have not had the time to properly analyze it to see what is really needed in terms of reversing sections and reversers.  Sometimes the track that creates the need for a reverser is not the track where the reverser should be used.

 

Best regards,

 

Steve

 

 

Steve Haas

Snoqualmie, WA