Topics

Reverser for Staging Tracks

Brian Eiland

The lowest deck(s) on my new layout are 3 areas of staging tracks,...one area to the left wall, one area to the right wall, one down the center (under the peninsula). These 3 sections are fed by a Peco 3-way turnout

3 of the staging tracks actually make a loop around the room (across a bridge at the entrance. For that reason I need a reverser, and I have purchased a PSR AX one.

My question is about where to place the insulated jointers for the reversing section. At one time I thought I 'could 'include the Peco 3-way turnout in the reversing loop. I have been informed that would lead to a short,...so I best place those insulated jointers in the two tracks diverging off to either side of the room.

Is there any restrictions I might consider as to how close to the 3-way I might place those jointers? Can I place them directly at where the flex track joins the 3-way track??.....or do I best allow some distance??

in case that image does not show up,...
https://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/sites/model-railroad-hobbyist.com/files/resize/users/anteaum2666/AutoreverseBrianStagingLoop-650x849.jpg

wirefordcc

Hi Brian,

Go ahead and put the insulated joiners on the tracks leaving the Peco three-way turnout.

Allan Gartner
Wiring for DCC

Steve Haas

A properly designed, manufactured, and wired three way turnout should not lead to the generation of a short as you have been led to believe.  Fortunately, any problems can be corrected.  See the Wiringfordcc web site at www.wiringfordcc.com, specifically the section on turnouts: http://www.wiringfordcc.com/switches.htm.

One of the leftover ideals from the days of DC wiring is that the section of track that reverses the direction of the engine/train.  With DCC this certainly isn’t a requirement.

Here are some guidelines to the location of the section of track controlled by a reverser:

  1. The electrical reversing section should be as long as your longest train, so that any given train/engine is not entering and exiting at the same time,
  2. Ideally only one train at a time is entering/exiting the same time,
  3. Located, engineered and installed in a manner that eliminates “Model Railroad Thoughts”, or other distractions that detract from the engineer running his train.

Were this my layout, I’d make the necessary alterations to the three way turnout to avoid those shorts, then insulate all three branches  off the three way, start the reversing section with those gaps, through the three way and one train length up the helix; it’s long enough and with proper following rules (time and /or distance) only one train would occupy it at a time.

Best regards,

Steve

Steve Haas

Snoqualmie, WA

Brian Eiland

I think I am going to follow Allan's advice.

But Steve what do you think of this observation by another gentleman??...

trace your outside rail all the way around the staging loop.
If you incorporate the 3-way in your reversing section, you've directly connected the left rail to the right rail. You must gap after the 3-way.

On Wed, Oct 21, 2020 at 5:11 PM Steve Haas <Goatfisher2@...> wrote:

A properly designed, manufactured, and wired three way turnout should not lead to the generation of a short as you have been led to believe.  Fortunately, any problems can be corrected.  See the Wiringfordcc web site at www.wiringfordcc.com, specifically the section on turnouts: http://www.wiringfordcc.com/switches.htm.

One of the leftover ideals from the days of DC wiring is that the section of track that reverses the direction of the engine/train.  With DCC this certainly isn’t a requirement.

Here are some guidelines to the location of the section of track controlled by a reverser:

  1. The electrical reversing section should be as long as your longest train, so that any given train/engine is not entering and exiting at the same time,
  2. Ideally only one train at a time is entering/exiting the same time,
  3. Located, engineered and installed in a manner that eliminates “Model Railroad Thoughts”, or other distractions that detract from the engineer running his train.

Were this my layout, I’d make the necessary alterations to the three way turnout to avoid those shorts, then insulate all three branches  off the three way, start the reversing section with those gaps, through the three way and one train length up the helix; it’s long enough and with proper following rules (time and /or distance) only one train would occupy it at a time.

Best regards,

Steve

Steve Haas

Snoqualmie, WA

Steve Haas

It’s a good option.

It’s good advice, that’s why you need to gap both rails in at least the outer two branches of the reversing loop.  Hopefully, nothing I said led you to believe that gapping both rails on both outer branches of the three way isn’t necessary (They are necessary).

Best regards,

Steve

Steve Haas

Snoqualmie, WA

Tim

Depending on how the turnout is wired, there are ways ...

But, Brian, what you suggested is guaranteed to work all the time, regardless of how the turnouts are wired.

As for the method to provide the reversing, I prefer to use a DPDT relay connected to one (or sometimes more than one) of the turnout control devices. In my case that is either Bluepoints or Tortoises. But I'm an old-fashioned troglodyte that also prefers using feedback from these devices to confirm their position. At least I don't insist on independent relays tied to the points for my N-scale layout like the prototype uses. :)

Tim Rumph
Lancaster, SC