Topics

QSI ver6 SW8 Decoder

Ed

I recently purchased a Walthers/P2K SW8 locomotive (HO scale) with a factory installed QSI ver6 SW8 decoder. My DCC system is an NCE Power Cab connected with Decoder Pro to a programming track. All went well as I made some minor changes to the programming until I did a "read all CVs". 4 CVs showed up as red: CV 1; 52.14, 52.28, and 56.10. The first 3 were cleared up by going to the appropriate page in Decoder Pro and making a change to the listed CV. However, CV 56.10 is not that easy. No where in the Decoder Pro program can I find a reference to that specific CV. The QSI manual lists it as "speed step to SMPH scale factor (PI=10)".  What does it mean to have this CV as red in Decoder Pro? If I need to change it, what do I change? I checked the groups.io website and can find no group for QSI in HO scale.

Ed Robinson

Ed,
I'm not sure where to find it on the other Decoder Pro pages but you can change it on the CVs page. Are you in Program Track mode? If so try reading the CV directly. During a "Read All,"  Decoder Pro will sometimes try to read a given CV, fail, and then try again later. An intermittent connection to the decoder will cause DP to change that CV to Red. Make sure you connections are clean.

As always, be in good health and do good work.

-Michael Boyle

          The miracle is this: The more we share the more we have.
                      Leonard Nimoy

Jim Betz

Ed,
  The PowerCab is the best programming environment you can have.  The
QSI V6 decoders are some of the most notorious "problem children".  To
read the CVs in a V6 decoder I -often- have to go back to the individual
sheet and do a "Read Full Sheet" ... often several times before I get them
all.  You can also go to the "CVs" pane and read just one CV until you
get it read.
  Having an entry in your DecoderPro roster that has a few RED CVs is
not a problem unless/until you feel the need to change them and want to
first read them.

  You may have better success if you can set up a totally isolated
programming track section of your layout.  Be certain to read up on
how to do that the "best way" before you do so - there are instructions
on several web sites for doing so - just Google "NCE PowerCab
programming track".  Locomotives "creep" during long read all CVs
and it is -very- important that they not go past the end of the
programming track.  The reason for having an isolated programming
track is to reduce any other loads that might reduce the ability of the
PowerCab to read/write CVs.  Many guys use a siding somewhere
that can be isolated with the flip of a DPDT.

  I have about a dozen V6 equipped locos and have stopped using them.
They are waiting to be converted to Tsunami 2 decoders.  (There are
other problems with the V6 decoders than the difficulty reading them.)
YMMV.

  DP is absolutely the best and I don't even consider any other method
for programming locos.
                                                                         - Jim

thomasmclae

I have had good luck and easy conversion replacing QSI decoders with a Decoder Buddy. Converts the QSI to a 21-pin motherboard. I re-use the OEM speakers.
I then install a Loksound, but any 21 pin decoder works.
There is a newer Decoder Buddy Mini if the original is too large.

After years of fighting QSI, this is the best remedy I have found.

Thomas
DeSoto, TX

Craig Zeni

1000% agree.  The QSI decoders are well past their prime; the Decoder Buddy makes the upgrade pretty straightforward.

Craig Zeni
Cary, NC
Despatched from my infernal Android

On Tue, Oct 6, 2020, 12:28 Thomas McLaren's via groups.io <mclae5-lists=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I have had good luck and easy conversion replacing QSI decoders with a Decoder Buddy. Converts the QSI to a 21-pin motherboard. I re-use the OEM speakers.
I then install a Loksound, but any 21 pin decoder works.
There is a newer Decoder Buddy Mini if the original is too large.

After years of fighting QSI, this is the best remedy I have found.

Thomas
DeSoto, TX

PennsyNut

v6 should be updated to v7. I don't know how, but that is a major problem with QSI.
There is a group, but it's for the newer QSI Titan decoders. https://groups.io/g/QSIndustries/topics
I have a v7 with problems and there are few people in that QSI groups.io that were able to help. In JMRI, go to DP, Actions tab, Single CV programmer, you should be able to read and write from that. As others have said, even though it's red, you don't need to bother with it unless it's critical. Also, I might add. I never say what or which is the best. I do not agree with that approach. All systems, decoders, etc. have their good and bad points. NCE vs Digitrax is BS. QSI vs LOC, WOW, Tsunami is also BS. You takes your pick, pays your money and get what you wish. If you like it, fine. If you don't, you change. But I don't knock any company and I sure wish others would quit using a negative approach. Just IMHO of course, no offense meant.
Morgan Bilbo, slightly over one year with very basic DCC