Topics

QSI Decoder Wiring Information

Wil Davis
 

My friend has an early BLI PRR M1 that has a QSI decoder.  I am unable to read the decoder, we have tried resetting the decoder with no luck.  All it will do is sit on the track and make idle steam engine sounds.  None of the functions work, headlight, bell etc.  Nor does it move.  He has asked me to replace the decoder with a current steam sound decoder.  I told him I would, if I could do it without taking the engine apart.  The tender has the Decoder that appears to be a "motherboard" that it plugs into.  It connects to to the engine with a six wire double ended female connector.  I have determined that the outside wires are track pickup.  However, I am unable to determine what the other four are other than two obviously go to the motor and two go to the headlight.  I have tried everything I can think of to figure them out without blowing the headlight.  I know I could probably hook a 9v battery to the motor and determine if it works.  However, if I guess wrong and connect it to the headlight I may blow it. I once saw wiring diagrams for some engine/decoders, but am not able to find it. 

Anyone have any idea where i could find this information or know what the middle four wires go to?

Thanks,
Wil

Craig Zeni
 

It may be stuck in its "disconnected" or its idle mode.  I can't recall what function button it's on... hopefully he still has the manual that will tell him what to try.

Craig Zeni
Cary, NC
Despatched from my infernal Android


On Mon, Jul 22, 2019, 17:05 Wil Davis <wdavis5069@...> wrote:
My friend has an early BLI PRR M1 that has a QSI decoder.  I am unable to read the decoder, we have tried resetting the decoder with no luck.  All it will do is sit on the track and make idle steam engine sounds.  None of the functions work, headlight, bell etc.  Nor does it move.  He has asked me to replace the decoder with a current steam sound decoder.  I told him I would, if I could do it without taking the engine apart.  The tender has the Decoder that appears to be a "motherboard" that it plugs into.  It connects to to the engine with a six wire double ended female connector.  I have determined that the outside wires are track pickup.  However, I am unable to determine what the other four are other than two obviously go to the motor and two go to the headlight.  I have tried everything I can think of to figure them out without blowing the headlight.  I know I could probably hook a 9v battery to the motor and determine if it works.  However, if I guess wrong and connect it to the headlight I may blow it. I once saw wiring diagrams for some engine/decoders, but am not able to find it. 

Anyone have any idea where i could find this information or know what the middle four wires go to?

Thanks,
Wil

Clark Propst
 

I’d contact BLI. They should be able to supply a drawing for the engine and even offer advice.
 
Clark Propst
Mason City Iowa
 

From: Wil Davis
Sent: Monday, July 22, 2019 4:01 PM
To: w4dccqa@groups.io
Subject: [w4dccqa] QSI Decoder Wiring Information
 
My friend has an early BLI PRR M1 that has a QSI decoder.  I am unable to read the decoder, we have tried resetting the decoder with no luck.  All it will do is sit on the track and make idle steam engine sounds.  None of the functions work, headlight, bell etc.  Nor does it move.  He has asked me to replace the decoder with a current steam sound decoder.  I told him I would, if I could do it without taking the engine apart.  The tender has the Decoder that appears to be a "motherboard" that it plugs into.  It connects to to the engine with a six wire double ended female connector.  I have determined that the outside wires are track pickup.  However, I am unable to determine what the other four are other than two obviously go to the motor and two go to the headlight.  I have tried everything I can think of to figure them out without blowing the headlight.  I know I could probably hook a 9v battery to the motor and determine if it works.  However, if I guess wrong and connect it to the headlight I may blow it. I once saw wiring diagrams for some engine/decoders, but am not able to find it. 

Anyone have any idea where i could find this information or know what the middle four wires go to?

Thanks,
Wil

Tom O'Hara
 

You could also apply 3 volts with a series set of batteries. Not enough to hurt the bulb.

... Tom

On Jul 22, 2019, at 4:17 PM, Clark Propst <cepropst@q.com> wrote:

I’d contact BLI. They should be able to supply a drawing for the engine and even offer advice.
 
Clark Propst
Mason City Iowa
 
From: Wil Davis
Sent: Monday, July 22, 2019 4:01 PM
To: w4dccqa@groups.io
Subject: [w4dccqa] QSI Decoder Wiring Information
 
My friend has an early BLI PRR M1 that has a QSI decoder.  I am unable to read the decoder, we have tried resetting the decoder with no luck.  All it will do is sit on the track and make idle steam engine sounds.  None of the functions work, headlight, bell etc.  Nor does it move.  He has asked me to replace the decoder with a current steam sound decoder.  I told him I would, if I could do it without taking the engine apart.  The tender has the Decoder that appears to be a "motherboard" that it plugs into.  It connects to to the engine with a six wire double ended female connector.  I have determined that the outside wires are track pickup.  However, I am unable to determine what the other four are other than two obviously go to the motor and two go to the headlight.  I have tried everything I can think of to figure them out without blowing the headlight.  I know I could probably hook a 9v battery to the motor and determine if it works.  However, if I guess wrong and connect it to the headlight I may blow it. I once saw wiring diagrams for some engine/decoders, but am not able to find it. 

Anyone have any idea where i could find this information or know what the middle four wires go to?

Thanks,
Wil

Al Silverstein
 

A friend of mine reported the same situation with his BLI, B&O F7B engine which had a QSI Quantum decoder. Looking through the manual I missed the comment about the motor going into stand bye.
 
I noted on another list to which I am a member someone saying they had the similar problem a while back. The solution noted on this other list was to press the F6 button twice quickly.
 
I placed the B&O engine on my test layout, pressed the F6 button twice quickly, the engine jerked, and the motor would again function as it should.
 
A close review of the QSI decoder manual indicated that pressing twice the F6 button quickly flipped them motor control on and off. If on the motor control would turn off and if off the motor control would turn back on.
 
You might want to try the above. If just may cure the problem.
 
Al Silverstein
 

From: Wil Davis
Sent: Monday, July 22, 2019 5:01 PM
To: w4dccqa@groups.io
Subject: [w4dccqa] QSI Decoder Wiring Information
 
My friend has an early BLI PRR M1 that has a QSI decoder.  I am unable to read the decoder, we have tried resetting the decoder with no luck.  All it will do is sit on the track and make idle steam engine sounds.  None of the functions work, headlight, bell etc.  Nor does it move.  He has asked me to replace the decoder with a current steam sound decoder.  I told him I would, if I could do it without taking the engine apart.  The tender has the Decoder that appears to be a "motherboard" that it plugs into.  It connects to to the engine with a six wire double ended female connector.  I have determined that the outside wires are track pickup.  However, I am unable to determine what the other four are other than two obviously go to the motor and two go to the headlight.  I have tried everything I can think of to figure them out without blowing the headlight.  I know I could probably hook a 9v battery to the motor and determine if it works.  However, if I guess wrong and connect it to the headlight I may blow it. I once saw wiring diagrams for some engine/decoders, but am not able to find it. 

Anyone have any idea where i could find this information or know what the middle four wires go to?

Thanks,
Wil

Wil Davis
 

Thanks for the suggestions.  He has the abbreviated manual that came with the engine, but it offered no help.  I will try F6. 

After I posted my question, being impatient, I decided to try applying power to a couple of the pins to see what happened and found out that in addition to track power being on the outside pins, the next two were motor power as it ran across my workbench.  I next connected to the center two and verified that they powered the headlight, just before I got over zealous and burned it out.  I was really upset, but found out the if I remove the smoke box front the headlight is on a plug so it's a relatively simple task to replace the bulb.

Thanks for the suggestions I will report back if I can revive it with F6.

Wil

Mitchell Mercante
 

Wil,

The QSI decoder manual for steam locos is online and downloadable.  Just Google "QSI decoder manual" and it's among the first entries.

Regards,

Mitch Mercante

On Tuesday, July 23, 2019, 12:06:14 PM CDT, Wil Davis <wdavis5069@...> wrote:


Thanks for the suggestions.  He has the abbreviated manual that came with the engine, but it offered no help.  I will try F6. 

After I posted my question, being impatient, I decided to try applying power to a couple of the pins to see what happened and found out that in addition to track power being on the outside pins, the next two were motor power as it ran across my workbench.  I next connected to the center two and verified that they powered the headlight, just before I got over zealous and burned it out.  I was really upset, but found out the if I remove the smoke box front the headlight is on a plug so it's a relatively simple task to replace the bulb.

Thanks for the suggestions I will report back if I can revive it with F6.

Wil

Wil Davis
 

Thanks for the recommendation to try F6. I selected it 4 times and the decoder now works normally. I really appreciate the tip.

Wil

Craig Zeni
 

On Jul 24, 2019, at 11:02 PM, Wil Davis wrote:

Thanks for the recommendation to try F6. I selected it 4 times and the decoder now works normally. I really appreciate the tip.
Wil,

There's a way to disable this 'feature' via CVs

For steam, change the CVs in order listed below
CV49=11
CV50=0
CV53=215

For diesel, change the CVs in order listed below
CV49=11
CV50=1
CV53=12

Read back and write down those CVs before changing them in case there's a quirk in your decoder; can never be too safe...

Craig Zeni
Cary NC

Greg Elmassian
 

Should only take 2 presses of F6 to return from "disconnect" mode. You do NOT have to press them quickly, but two F6 within one second is fine.

By the way, pressing F9 twice is what puts it into disconnect, and two more F9 should go into idle down, and two more should initiate the shutdown sequence.

Greg