Topics

Programming track "short" message on NCE Powercab

Nick Ostrosky

Using the NCE Powercab it was my understanding that your entire layout can be used as the programming track since NCE doesn't have separate programming track outputs.  However, when I attempt to use "Program Track" (vs. Program on Main") my cab gives me "Short Detected", and if I press enter it asks if I want to continue anyway.  I have no problem operating locomotives, and my entire layout is wired with circuit breakers and auto-reversers (one wye, one loop), none of which is showing a short or giving me any operating troubles.  Has anyone else run into this issue, and does anyone have suggestions for troubleshooting since there are no obvious indicators of a problem?  Thanks!

Don Vollrath

Nick, If you use the entire layout as a programming track and there are multiple locos, circuit breakers,reversers or other attachments to the track bus, there is likely to be too much load on the bus for read-back programming to work. Do not do that. You need to create a programming track and isolate the rest of the layout with either a DPDT manual switch or NCE's auto-Switch. Otherwise you will be programming every item attached to the mainline output of the PowerCab.
DonV

Nick Ostrosky

Thank you, Don.  That makes sense, and I’m a little surprised NCE doesn’t cover that in their documentation.

Richard Gagnon

I have the PC but used a short section of isolated track some years ago. Seemed logical for program track from all I have read in forums over the years and the manual.

Rich

On Friday, November 9, 2018, 8:38 AM, Nick Ostrosky <nick79ostr@...> wrote:

Using the NCE Powercab it was my understanding that your entire layout can be used as the programming track since NCE doesn't have separate programming track outputs.  However, when I attempt to use "Program Track" (vs. Program on Main") my cab gives me "Short Detected", and if I press enter it asks if I want to continue anyway.  I have no problem operating locomotives, and my entire layout is wired with circuit breakers and auto-reversers (one wye, one loop), none of which is showing a short or giving me any operating troubles.  Has anyone else run into this issue, and does anyone have suggestions for troubleshooting since there are no obvious indicators of a problem?  Thanks!

Glenn

Otherwise you will be programming every item attached to the mainline output of the PowerCab. (Guilty).

Wiring for DCC has instructions for making a programing track. http://www.wiringfordcc.com/track_2.htm#d2

It doesn't surprise me NCE doesn't discuss program tracks in the initial set up instructions. The MRC unit I started with Included a resistor and instructions for creating a program track.

I used my separate test track as the programing track. I used three screws to connect power via alligator clips to the track. One screw was wired to the back rail. A second screw was wired to the front rail. The third screw was wired through the resistor to the front rail.

Glenn