Powering turnout points

Michael Shockley

I think I could solder a single strand of wire from the point to the closure rail it leads to to power the points. Wouldn’t that do it?  Pardon me if I used the wrong term there.

Mike Shockley

raymond martin

That will work.  Leave a bit of slack in the wire.

On Saturday, June 12, 2021, 09:26:51 AM CDT, Michael Shockley via groups.io <docshock31@...> wrote:

I think I could solder a single strand of wire from the point to the closure rail it leads to to power the points. Wouldn’t that do it?  Pardon me if I used the wrong term there.

Mike Shockley

whmvd

Michael,

It might, but keep in mind that the wire must:
1) be of adequate size to carry the full current required by the least energy-friendly train you can think of, and
2) be very flexbile so as not to create problems throwing the turnout.
In summary: probably not, but worth a try if you think both items are covered.

Wouter

On Sat, 12 Jun 2021 at 15:27, Michael Shockley via groups.io <docshock31=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I think I could solder a single strand of wire from the point to the closure rail it leads to to power the points. Wouldn’t that do it?  Pardon me if I used the wrong term there.

Mike Shockley

Greg Harter

The Atlas turnouts have a metal frog to which soldering is nigh impossible.  I've used conductive paint with reasonably good results.  After it has completely dried, put on another coat, and let dry.  Then put a light film of epoxy on it for strength.  The conductive paint has very little holding power.

Greg Harter

john

There are two holes in the frog, run a tap into the hole and use a screw, looks shabby but it works and a dab of black paint disguises it. I don't know the size of the tap, i fudged it.
Atlas should put the info on the package...........PLEASE.
jd

On Sunday, June 13, 2021, 10:42:15 AM EDT, Greg Harter <greg1462@...> wrote:

The Atlas turnouts have a metal frog to which soldering is nigh impossible.  I've used conductive paint with reasonably good results.  After it has completely dried, put on another coat, and let dry.  Then put a light film of epoxy on it for strength.  The conductive paint has very little holding power.

Greg Harter

Dave Hamernik

This paper might be of interest to you. https://www.modeltrainforum.com/attachments/improving-atlas-turnouts-ii-pdf.554704/

if the link doesn’t work search for ‘improving atlas turnouts’. You should find a forum that has this pdf.