Topics

Powering Points

alynmar@...

Hello all,
I am building a new layout after having moved recently.  The layout will be run with my NCE Power Pro 5 amp system.  The points will be powered by Peco Twistlock motors wired into DCC Concepts accessory decoders for solenoid drive, and using DCC Concepts alpha central integrated 12 way digital switch units for changing point direction.
My question is would it be better to tie into the Power Pro NCE bus for power, or to add an additional bus with its own power supply for the accessory decoders and the alpha central switch units?  The layout size in 8 x 22 with an additional 6x14 storage yard.
Thank you,
Alan

Bill Wilken

I use the same NCE PowerPro for a 20x20 dogleg layout with several hundred feet of track plus some 20 Tortoise powered turnouts and over a dozen locos. It’s hard for me to imagine that you might need any supplementary power save for a low voltage transformer to power layout lighting and the like

On Sep 9, 2020, at 11:52 AM, alynmar@... wrote:

Hello all,
I am building a new layout after having moved recently.  The layout will be run with my NCE Power Pro 5 amp system.  The points will be powered by Peco Twistlock motors wired into DCC Concepts accessory decoders for solenoid drive, and using DCC Concepts alpha central integrated 12 way digital switch units for changing point direction.
My question is would it be better to tie into the Power Pro NCE bus for power, or to add an additional bus with its own power supply for the accessory decoders and the alpha central switch units?  The layout size in 8 x 22 with an additional 6x14 storage yard.
Thank you,
Alan

wirefordcc

Hi Alan,

You didn't say how many locomotives you would be running.  I still don't think you will an additional bus with its own power supply.

On the other hand, if you run your accessory decoders off your track bus, you may have a problem if a locomotive approaches your turnout with the points thrown against it, you may have a short that shuts down your track making it impossible to throw the points and correct the problem.  You still don't need to spend the money for a separate booster to power your accessory decoders.

Instead, just get an electronic circuit breaker, like an NCE EB1.  Create a separate accessory bus and tie it directly to your Power Pro system.  Connect your track bus to the EB1 and then connect it to the Power Pro. Now if your track shorts out, the Power Pro won't shut down and you can still flip your turnouts.

Allan Gartner
Wiring For DCC

Bill Wilken

All are running, but it's hard for me to keep track of more than four
that are in motion.