Topics

Power/wiring

WILLIAM RAILEY

I just finished a new layout and am a novice at best.  I have had trouble with shorts but thought I had it finished when the command light went on.  However, I cannot get either of my engines to run or get work.  I have power two the tracks.

When I run through the setup, it says it cannot read the CV.  I as struggling needless to say.

wirefordcc

If you are on the mainline, DCC systems cannot read CVs.

What system do you have?  Digitrax for example, has a track power on standby mode.  You will have power on the track, but nothing will go anywhere.  This has befuddled more than one novice Digitrax user.  See your throttle manual.

Allan Gartner  WiringForDCC.com

WILLIAM RAILEY

I have Nce and cannot get either engine to run. I even isolated a section

On Apr 4, 2019, at 11:55 AM, wirefordcc <bigboy@...> wrote:

If you are on the mainline, DCC systems cannot read CVs.

What system do you have?  Digitrax for example, has a track power on standby mode.  You will have power on the track, but nothing will go anywhere.  This has befuddled more than one novice Digitrax user.  See your throttle manual.

Allan Gartner  WiringForDCC.com

whmvd

Hi rrailey,

If you really have power to the tracks (how do you know?), you are probably asking the wrong group at the moment. Depending on your hardware, you might be better off looking at specific groups that exist for the support of your brand.

I could start guessing (best guess now: you cannot read CVs because you are using not your command station in programming track mode). But guessing isn't going to get this resolved, probably.

Wouter

On Thu, 4 Apr 2019 at 17:54, <rrailey1@...> wrote:
I just finished a new layout and am a novice at best.  I have had trouble with shorts but thought I had it finished when the command light went on.  However, I cannot get either of my engines to run or get work.  I have power two the tracks.

When I run through the setup, it says it cannot read the CV.  I as struggling needless to say.

Richard Gagnon

I have the NCE Power Cab and have programmed different decoders.
Is the display on? I think it must be. The red LED also.
You said you are getting shorts so the display must go out and the cab resets and the display comes back on.
I normally use the program track option for programing.
I have done Digitrax, LokSound, SoundTraxx and QSI decoders. No problem.
Probably not important but I measure 13.6 vac across the rails on by Power Cab with my meter. Not all meters will show the same as it is RMS AC. Not pure sine wave. I have looked at it with a Scope.

Rich

Michael Snyder

Hi Richard,
Perhaps you can assist me.  I also have an NCE Power Cab.  I just purchased a new DCC Bachmann locomotive and of course...can not get it to run.  I have 13.77vac at track.  A call to Bachmann yielded that they feel the decoder is not recognized by NCE, but the CV is 8.  I went through the rack programming and entered this #8 under CV with no luck.  Any suggestions?

Michael

On Thu, Apr 4, 2019 at 7:09 PM Richard Gagnon via Groups.Io <richg_1998=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I have the NCE Power Cab and have programmed different decoders.
Is the display on? I think it must be. The red LED also.
You said you are getting shorts so the display must go out and the cab resets and the display comes back on.
I normally use the program track option for programing.
I have done Digitrax, LokSound, SoundTraxx and QSI decoders. No problem.
Probably not important but I measure 13.6 vac across the rails on by Power Cab with my meter. Not all meters will show the same as it is RMS AC. Not pure sine wave. I have looked at it with a Scope.

Rich

Richard Gagnon

After Cv8 I cycle track power off then on. Lights flash sixteen times and loco then runs on address 3 if reset took.
But always use program track option.

Rich