Topics

Power Bus on new layout

alynmar@...

I'm at the point in a new layout build where I need to run my power bus.  The layout is  a 8' x 20' rectangle with a 3' x 14 extension  running at 90 degrees from the main baseboard.  I will be the only operator of this layout.  In Allan's Wiring the Track, part two, he shows an option for running the power bus in a "star" configuration.
If I choose this approach do I need insulated track joiners between each section of the "star"?  Would you then use a terminal strip to bring the bus sections together to feed into my NCE Power Pro system?

Alan

Jim Zarnick

A couple of things for you to think about.

You don’t have to insulate the different track sections, blocks from one another, presuming there are no reverse loops, but the advantage of insulating the various blocks is that if you wanted to break the layout into different power districts  or add block detection because you decided to add signaling in the future you can easily do say without messing with the track at all.  On 2 occasions I added another circuit breaker to isolate an industrial area so a derailment doesn’t stop the whole layout from running.

I chose to run a 14 gauge main bus, then from distro panels at various points to NCE EB1 circuit breakers run 18 gauge wires for each block then 22-24 gauge track feeders connect to the 18 gauge via suitcase connectors and soldered to the track.    Every piece of track is soldered to feeders or small pieces of track are soldered at the joiner to the next piece of track, but every piece of track is soldered to something.

No regrets on the time investment because I’m not chasing electrical issues and go focus on other aspect of this wonderful hobby.

Have fun!

I'm at the point in a new layout build where I need to run my power bus.  The layout is  a 8' x 20' rectangle with a 3' x 14 extension  running at 90 degrees from the main baseboard.  I will be the only operator of this layout.  In Allan's Wiring the Track, part two, he shows an option for running the power bus in a "star" configuration.
If I choose this approach do I need insulated track joiners between each section of the "star"?  Would you then use a terminal strip to bring the bus sections together to feed into my NCE Power Pro system?

Alan

JoAnn Donaldson

Jim,
   I built a version of the N Scale Red Oak Line. I am using a PM42 Power Distribution Unit to power the layout. It has two hidden staging tracks, a front working tracks, and an Industries tracks. This way if I have a train running around the loop and at the same time I am doing staging in the Industries and accidentally short the track, power is only interrupted to the Industries track. Yes you will need tack insulators.

JoAnn Donaldson
Dallas, Texas

On Wednesday, February 3, 2021, 10:05:35 AM CST, Jim Zarnick <jameszarnick@...> wrote:

[...]

I have digitrax and one thing I discovered was having problems connecting with the Controllers. While I researching this on the Digitrax Website, I ran across an article talking about how important it was to make sure all of your controller connections and Power Block were connected via the Digitrax network. So I got looking at mine and discovered that it was not correct. So I spent a few minutes making sure I had my Radio Blcok, Manual Block, PM422, My Programmer Block were daisy changed to the DM150. When I turn on Track Power, Bingo, I could now control my Engines. Not sure if the other DCC Controllers use a similar Network, but make sure it is connected correctly.

JoAnn Donaldson
Dallas, TX