Topics

Power Bus

Ted Atkinson

Am going to upgrade the bus wire to 14 gauge from 16 gauge. Two questions:

1. considering using terminal strips to make the bus runs even shorter, but wondered how much voltage loss might be experienced? Thoughts?
2.  also reconsidering recycling some quick connects. Bad idea?

Thx in advance. Ted

wirefordcc

Hi Ted,

You can use terminal strips.  That is what I do.  As long as you have good, solid connections, you will not experience voltage loss (drop).

I view quick connects as one time use only.  You want a solid connection, known as "gas tight", between the wire and the connector so that the connection does not oxidize over time.  If others have tried reuse and have many years of good service, I hope they chime in.

Allan Gartner
Wiring for DCC

Steve Hubbard

Clarify quick connects?  Are you referring to spade type connectors?

Ted Atkinson

also called pvc solderless terminals, instant quick splice, quick cables.  They connect the wires by using pliers to squeeze a metal tab into the two wires.  Can be used with two different wire diameters for sizes specified by mfr.

On Sun, Jan 31, 2021 at 8:55 PM Steve Hubbard via groups.io <cyclefab=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Clarify quick connects?  Are you referring to spade type connectors?

Ted Atkinson

thx for your input on the terminal strips.  I am considering running approx 4 10'  bus wires using terminal strips rather than one up to 40' continuous strip.  the four lengths with terminal strips (near the main power input) would provide longer term flexibility. Rationale?

Thx again

On Sun, Jan 31, 2021 at 3:11 PM wirefordcc <bigboy@...> wrote:
Hi Ted,

You can use terminal strips.  That is what I do.  As long as you have good, solid connections, you will not experience voltage loss (drop).

I view quick connects as one time use only.  You want a solid connection, known as "gas tight", between the wire and the connector so that the connection does not oxidize over time.  If others have tried reuse and have many years of good service, I hope they chime in.

Allan Gartner
Wiring for DCC

Keith Elrod

I'm pretty sure what you are referring to is commonly called "suitcase connectors." I agree with Allan ... one-time use only.

Steve Hubbard

Ah Ok, I too feel they are a one time use connector.   That is why I am using the suitcase connector's with the built in female spade connection so I can troubleshoot when needed.

Keith Elrod

Those, if I think I know what you are referring to, are called "T-Taps" and are different from suitcase connectors.

wirefordcc

The general name for any wire connection device that clamps onto a wire is IDC - Insulation Displacement Connector.

As Keith noted, the ones that "T" off the wire and have a spade lug connection is a "T-tap."

JoAnn Donaldson

I use the suitcase type connectors on my N Scale Layout. I discovered that I could undo them if I did not get the blade flush with the connector. That way I can grab it with a pair of pliers and wiggle it back out. I did this on my layout before I traced the power problem to the PM42. I sent the PM42 in for repaired and now I have power in all four zones.

JoAnn Donaldson
Dallas, TX