Power

James Cunningham

I have installed 12 atlas snap relays and directional led lights to my atlas turnouts. I've noticed that when i throw a switch the led lights flicker.
Also some of the snap relays don't change the direction lights the little slide arm doesn't slide is my problem not enough power. I'm using a
ac adaptor 12 volts 1.25 amps .If that is not enough power what should i be using and where can i get it

                                                                                Jimmy

wirefordcc

Hi Jimmy,

The Atlas snap switches were typically operated off the AC accessories output of a model train power pack.  Those power packs put out about 16V AC.  So if you still have one of those laying around, you can use that.  If not, Jameco sells a variety of wall transformers.  You can probably find one that puts out more power than you are using.

Be warned that if your Atlas snap switch doesn't flip immediately, DON'T hold down the button!  You can easily melt your snap switch.

Allan Gartner
Wiring For DCC

James Cunningham

Thank You Allan

George Galyon

I tried using Atlas snap relays to route power back in my DC days some 40 years ago.  They are essentially double pole-double throw latching relays but the electrical contacts In those days were unplated phos-bronze strips which tended to go open after 100+ operations.  In those days they were around $1.50 each.  I don't recommend them for high usage operations.  I looked into getting higher quality dpdt latching relays and even "back then" the next quality level up were around $45 per with silver plated  contacts.  I couldn't see then (and can't justify it today) $45 per. Especially as the silver plating was around 50 microns and would probably wear off in << 1000 cycles.  Too bad...latching relays that can carry some power made for some interesting power control circuitry back in the day.  Today, DCC eliminates the need for such power circuits.  Lighting...maybe..but the Atlas relays may not stand up to the usage.

Charles Brumbelow

Most of the double solenoid switch machines can be pressed into service as latching relays. As you say, though, the contact durability is the weak link.

Charles

On Tuesday, April 28, 2020, 8:53 AM, George Galyon via groups.io <redvdub1@...> wrote:

[...]

Carl

Hi Gang:

All Electronics have relays that are better than switch machines:

https://www.allelectronics.com/item/rly-715/4.5-vdc-dpdt-latching-relay-surface-mount/1.html

I used some to run indicator lamps for my turnout controls.

Carl.

On 4/28/2020 2:01 PM, Charles Brumbelow via groups.io wrote:
[...]

Hi Carl,
Just went to All Electronics and ordered 100. Excellent! Thanks for the tip.
Michael Boyle

John White

Don't know to much about these. Are they using ion a circuit board or wired direct?
Thanks